Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
compostibles

allis 620 not taking to the hills

compostibles
Hey folks, I hope this is a simple fix, but since I'm at work and not at home working on it, I thought I'd ask here. My 620 hasn't been as agile going up inclines (not really steep) when mowing. I generally run it in 2nd gear, but lately it seems as though it slows down in forward speed going uphill,although the engine does not bog down. Using a fram filter(I'll try changing that to a napa filter, and change the fluid). Of note is that the forward/reverse lever doesn't stay in a fixed position, I generally have to hold it in place. Thoughts?

compostibles
If the drive belts were slipping, would I necessarily hear the characteristic belt squealing noise? If there is play in the control arm bushings, is there a way to tighten that up? Would that solve the problem of the hydro control lever creeping back to neutral position? 3rd gear has a bit of a difficult time getting up a slope(not steep), but 1st gear seems to do ok, as far as I can tell.

UCD
Sounds more like the 2 belts slipping. No you wouldn't necessarily hear them squealing. When replacing you need to order a matched set of belts. These are available from a Simplicity dealer.

arnoldir
When I bought my 720 it could barely climb into my trailer in 1st gear, and the 3pt could not lift much. I swapped the fram filter (orange with black no slip grip) with a factory filter and the machine would then easily climb hills and lift 3 pt. The filter is on the suction side of the pump, and less than 20 micron filter will starve the charge pump. My 2 cents, please value accordingly. Good luck with yours.