Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mroman59

Oil seal leak repair tip

mroman59
Use liquid electric tape and smear around the shaft and seal and let dry. It drys hard but flexible and will repair any damaged rubber and seal around the shaft. I did this for an two oil seals on my 7117 BGB and it worked very well. However, if there is a wobble in your shaft due to wear of the shaft or key way in side your BGB then it probably wont work. I may try this on my 6216 oil seal, engine leak. If you can see the oil seal then you don't have to remove it. I have used different brands of electric tape for various projects and there are ones that I would not use for this one. If anyone is interested I will post the brand that I used for this project, sorry cant remember it off that top of my head, but it is a popular brand. Mike

Vassal
I've got another one: When driving in seals that have a lip seal spring nested on the backside, slather grease all over the spring or even fill the backside of the seal shell with grease. This will help keep the spring from jumping out when thumping with the seal driver/hammer. A few times I've seen brand new seals leak because the spring shot out due to vibration on install. Pic shows the lip sealing spring on backside of the seal:
[img]http://www.900saab.com/dist4.jpg[/img]