Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help for Dad's Kohler ....... Update

Bailey

My dad called, he lives 4 hours away so I can't really see what's going on ...... has a kohler twin in a ten year old sears. Says it runs 30 minutes then dies. He can re-start and idle, but can't give it any more throttle without it dying, unless he shuts the choke. After an hour of cool down, he can mow for another 30 minutes. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't do twins, especially "new" ones. Oops .... not a twin. Dad says its a 17 horse single cylinder command series. He took the carb apart. Has a fuel shut-off solenoid. Unfortunately a couple of small pieces fell out and he can't figure out where they came from ...... this would be a lot easier if he lived down the street instead of another state!

You need to see if it loses spark or if it is a fuel problem. Next time it dies dump some fuel down the carb. Mine would do that and it ended up the fuel pump was heading south. It could also be clogged fuel filter or a gas cap that is not allowing air in the tank. It could be something like the condensor too. You need to use trial and error to determine which side, fuel or spark it is... Good luck. Of course this is just a hobby there are a million people that now infinately more then I do. If I can do it, you can. Take it a step at a time.

Usually I can do just that, kinda feel my way through an issue. But, in this case I'm dependant on what my dad is telling me from 4 hours away ..... makes it a bit more difficult. Just hoping this sounded particularly familiar to someone .....

Plugged cap vent is easy to diagnose. When the engine dies, loosen the cap. If engine restarts immediately, you've found the problem. Plugged filter worth changing anyway if it hasn't been replaced lately. Would be surprised if it were ignition since both coils would need to be failing with temperature. Fuel pump is simple to replace but takes some $$. Could also be the fuel shutoff solenoid in the carb. Again some $$ and more effort to replace.

I've heard of similar situations where the coil is going bad once it gets hot. Let it cool down and it does the same thing again when it gets hot. I'd go for the easiest fist though and see if there is a restriction in the fuel flow. Could be a leaf in the gas tank covering the outlet once in awhile, a crimped fuel line or a fuel filter that's plugged.

It sounds like one of the newer fixed jet carbs, with a varnish buildup in the main jet. As the engine heats up the mixture gets leaner till it quits. Cleaning the main jet with a small piece of wire or the smooth end of a very small drill bit should fix it if this is the problem. Just make sure to remove all of the varnish buildup so that the jet is back to its original size.

Hi, I would check the fins and make sure that Mickey and Minnie didn't build a home under the tin. Could be overheating. Al Eden