Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need advice on best way to sell these

AC_B-1Novice

I guess I am giving up on ever being able to play with these. I’m no mechanic and when I started buying these as interesting toys I was in good health. My plans for doing much with them has changed since Murphy raised his nasty head. I would like to sell them all in one lot, however, here are my questions. 1. Should I use Ebay or Craigslist or both? 2. Is there any thing you see there that I should sell separate from the lot? 3. I don’t know enough to be able to describe these is in any detail so what would you suggest I do for descriptions? 4. Do you think I should put a reserve on them? If so, how much would seem right? I’m located in Wayne County Ohio (44691) if that helps. I want to sell them now…and clean out my barn and prepare it for winter work. I hope you can help me on this. larry

Also are there any pictures you would not use or what would you add? The blue dirt plow and the red snow plow do not go with the lot.

Larry, first I hope your health gets better. You will realize more money parting out some of the machines but that is a lot of work. I would take them one or two at a time and clean them thouroughly and put them on CL. Ebay does not bring the money as they are too big to ship. Parts yes, whole tractors, no. Clean makes a difference. You should have an idea what they are worth since you bought them. Good luck, I hope things go better.

Parting out yields more money, but increases time and effort on your part exponantially. If your goal is housecleaning, I would recommend you make note of what you paid for each one and either sell the heavier garden tractor units on Ebay and just put the starting bid at what you have in each, or put them on craigs for a slightly higher price so you can haggle with potential buyers and still get your money back. The smaller lawn tractors are not worth monkeying on Ebay with. Sell locally for whatever you might get. The 32" tiller drive and associated parts(drive pulley, belt stops, etc etc) on the one landlord is the only thing I saw that might be best sold on EBay seperately, along with the 36" tiller to be sold on its own as well. The older tiller drive setups generally bring about $100 give or take by themsaelves, and the 36" tillers generally $200 +++ if in good tight working order.

I sell on Craigs routinely. Most decent machines sell within 3-4 days around here in PA. This year has been a big surge in sell prices for L&G stuff. Last year I was lucky to hit $175 for most MTD grade machines and this year it is easy to hit $300+. The beauty of CL is there are no fees and the listings are good for 45 days. Sometimes I will also list for a couple Craigslist cities(depending on geography). One local city gets more prices on things than another, so on so forth. As a rule though, CL deals should be done on site because no-shows are fairly common. One will no-show and another will call and fill it's spot and buy just as fast. It all evens out in the endsm01

I would sell these 1 at a time on Ebay with a reserve equal to what you paid for them. Also list at craigslist for at least what you paid for them. Take the time to write them up well and supply lots of pictures. Whatever doesn't sell part out

Larry, you will probably get more view of the tractors on eBay and therefore more interested parties biding on them and a better price. But if you are not worried about top dollar, set your price on Craigslist and if you don't get any offers you can always lower it later. Remember on eBay, you can advertise "pick up only" and the buyer knows he has to come and get it. You also can advertise shipping and let the buyer know that he must pay for shipping on the item. I think eBay support group can help you place an add that lets the buyer know he is responsible for shipping. If you dont have the manuals, you can find them on the internet if you know the MFG (manufacture) number. The manual will help you describe them for advertising. Most buyers looking for older Simplicity tractors are already familiar with the model so you probably will only need to describe what kind of condition they are in. You may wish to sell accessories separate if you want to maximize your profit. For example, the snow blower and plow separate. Even the deck separate from the tractor can bring you more money, but may decrease your ability to sell the tractor. I like the photos. Where in the world did you get all of them and why? I see every tractor in there except the 6216 that you talked about earlier. You got any photos of that one?

Darned things multiply like rabbits, don't they!d:) Craigslist will get you more face to face time with local buyers, whereas Ebay gets national exposure. And EBay has fees involved, where Craigslist is free. Just curious, do you have a price in mind for the lot?

I'm almost certain I've seen that Gilson listed out here in Ct. on Craigslist in the last couple weeks. Picture and condition looks identical as near as I can tell. Have you posted that picture elsewhere? I'm thinking somebody is using your picture because they don't have a camera. It isn't bad looking either. My 2 cents, sell them all 1 at a time on Craigslist. You might get a buyer to show up and buy more than one after he sees what is there.

Mike..I guess I just got carried away with them and drove where ever I had to to buy them. Why?..I just couldn't pass them up. Here is a picture of the 6216 without the snow cab I built on it. I think I'll try selling some attachments that I have first and see what happens. Right now I'm not sure I would sell the 6216 because I need the snow blower real bad in the winter. Larry

I forgot to mention I also have a 308 with a tiller and MF 10 with a garden plow. My fishing boat that has been used only 5 time since I bought it and has been stored inside also has to go. It is stll like new and I hate to sell it but that is life. larry

Since you don't have anything of particular collector value I'd think you'd need to sell in your area.Selling all in one lump is the easiest but gets the least $$$ most of the time,but then again buyers would travel farther to get a group of tractros to defray travel expenses per tractor.One good thing about selling them all at once is you only have to deal one time.

• 1 month later...