Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rusted bolts

toad270

Has anyone ever heard of using candle wax to loosen stuck bolts? The other day a guy brought a pipe in to the machine shop with a stuck pipe plug in it. This used about a 3/4 allen wrench for the plug so it was pretty good size plug. My boss made a bracket to bolt it to the table on our old cincinati mill then broke out the torch heated it up cherry red and it wouldn't move even with a cheater pipe. The next day the guy that brought it in came in and asked him if he tried candle wax on it. my boss couldn't beleive it so he went and got a candle a WalMart my boss put the torch right in the center of the pipe plug and heat it up first then held the candle to it and it wicked the wax into the threads and lubricated them so they could remove it.

Years ago I used to keep a bucket of used engine oil with a lid on it. Warm up anything seized on and stick it in the oil and if not on the first try it will soon free up. Uh, I don't do this anymore as I don't want to run afoul of any laws.