Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

40" Simplicity Weed Cutter

traktrjorj

OK, I went out on a limb and bought this Front Mount 40" weedcutter for a Simplicity (67/69). My research shows this is a rare item and was dangerous to use so I am thinking it would better be in a collectors hands than mine. Any ideas on what this is worth to a Simplicity Collector? I am located in Illinois? Thanks, Gary

Depends on what kind of shape its in. I sold a NOS one years ago for something like $250 or $300. Where in Illinois are you? I'm up around Moline Illinois.

Gary: I have had a 40" weedcutter for several years and it is a very good and desirable attachment. However, this is a very strong case of ya' gotta be smarter than what you're dealing with. Find a copy of the operators manual and read it carefully. Keep spectators away while you're operating--by nature of the job it was designed to do it has no guards or shields and will throw stuff quite a distance if it so desires. I also would suggest using safety gear such as goggles and/or face shield and gloves while operating the tractor with the weedcutter running. I have used mine to cut brush, tall grass and weeds and the results are very good if not amazing. You don't need to be afraid of this thing but it does command and demand the utmost in respect. The operators manual may be available on the Simplicity website. And, welcome to the club. Dave

I have one of those that was my dad's. he used it on his 67 Landlord...pretty wicked. Great for thick stuff. I am picking up a 67 Landlord this weekend and plan on fitting it up. They are certainly rare around here.

Yeah, what Dave said. It once took reading and understanding of the safety warnings in the manual to properly run equipment back then. There were a few too many missing digits, limbs and possibly lost lives before the government stepped in and added all the safety switches and guarding and possibly even forcing a company to cease production on certain implements to keep you and your loved ones safe around your tractor. What may have worked well for the intelligent and conscientious individual may not have been the same for the guy with less then perfect intelligence. A lot of these old and rare attachments have changed hands without the manuals for them, and even some missing parts. Really now, what did you do before you could download the manuals for free in pdf format??? You had to go to the dealer and he would give you a price that you wouldn't feel like paying, so you went home and tried to improvise the instructions yourself. Heck, even in my 990628 tiller manual, there were actually instructions dealing with proper tiller operation in different types of soil as well as running the tiller to different depths. Erik,,,,, :D:D:D:D That clip always cracks me up!!

Great machine, all they require is COMMON SENCE, which granted, has gotten more rare then the attachment in the past 40 years.

I have a similar attachment for a David Bradley tractor, and fully intend to use it around a pond area that has grown up over the years. I talked to a neighbor who remembers the tractor and brush cutter working, called it the 'foot remover'. As with all power equipment, be aware of what you are doing, and you should be ok. I currently use a Yazoo walk-behind that came from the factory with a deck that allows the operator to see the blade from the top, you could put your foot into the blade from the top should your nails need trimmed a lot, but, used properly, the mower will cut small saplings, bushes, heavy grass, etc., almost as good as a bush hog (almost, cause you have to push it). As Marty said, use COMMON SENSE with anything, be it tiller, plow, mower or ...any kind of power equipment.