Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JDSnyder

Another answer to #3899 - Belly Grader Blade

JDSnyder
I have a 40" belly grader Blade for my Landlord which I believe was from a Broadmoor, but it works fine. It is really great for smoothing gravel driveways. It is 6" high and the steel is 1/2" thick. It has bevel edges top and bottom so the blade can be turned over if one side wears too much. The mounts trailing back from the axle are heavy steel, abount 3/8". The degree of angle the blade turns is not as severe as the snow blade to avoid hitting the tires. It lifts with a chain from the mower deck lift arm.

Brent_Baumer
Thanks for the additional info. I haven't tackled this project yet. Too many things going on here at the end of the school year, and trying to get started on a new barn. Thought about trying to put my own driveway in to the barn but it would take me days compared to a few hours with a hired dozer and real road grader, just thought about doing it for the challenge. I could till the new 10' by 225' drive, use a johnnybucket to move 6-8" topsoil, and spread the #2's and #53's with the johnnybucket and a belly grader. Should I go for it? Brent

Brent_Baumer
Brent, I have an old Cat grader with a 10’ belly blade that does a great job leveling off rough sites or grading long roads fast. Some day I’ll put a grader blade on my garden tractor. But for a really smooth finish on a gravel or stone driveway, I use an “I” beam. I keep 6’, 12’, & 20’ lengths on hand for that purpose. The 6’ & 12’ lengths can be pulled by anything with a chain, or by my loader bucket. The photo shows the 20’. I float the bucket and back-drag. The “I” beam does a much nicer job than the grader. You should borrow an “I” beam the length you need and pull it with your tractor. I’ll think you’ll be amazed how nice a job it will do. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/20-I-beam.jpg