Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Coulter Swivel

JDSnyder

Relating to my “Sod Buster” project, after I got the coulter freed up (acetylene torch & sledge hammer two of my favorite tools) the coulter swivels 30 degrees left and right. There is, what appears to be, an original factory stop that permits this. When in use, the coulter seems to travel in a straight track, but I’ve never seen a photo of a coulter that swivels. Is this feature unusual, desirable, useful..? http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/coulter-seq.jpg

I believe the coulter swivels so that if you turn slightly (or just can't drive straight) the coulter blade will not break or bend. It also swivels to help prevent breakage if you happen to strike a rock or other hard obstacle. It will swivel one way or the other instead of ramming head-on into the rock and damaging the blade.

I think you're right on, Dave. They are also offset so much so they will get pulled back into alignment, just like a caster wheel....

Dutch, not sure why they swivel but all the plows I was around as a nebr farm boy did so. they track staight in use because of the extreme caster of the set-up. Looks normal in your pics to me..MPH Just read through your other sod-buster postings, your quite the project man Herb, I like it...Dad had us use gun greese of the plows when I was a kid cause the rain and snow wouldn't affect it sitting out side from spring to spring, only time I recall sanding rust off was when some stupid cow would lick em clean when allowed to pasture down the equipment lot, learned quick to check the plows. Garden wise the roto tiller far surpases plows disc and harrow. Don't have a workin plow yet but for sod bustin I believe they would surpass a normal tiller cuz tillers tend to rise to the top in sod. enter counter rotating tillers. But a plow would just be fun. Oh traction wise, I Just put new Carlieal super lugs on the B112 and can pull that 5 foot land rake full of garden dirt in freshly tilled dirt and not break a lug, wish I could say the same for other worn parts. I have 2 sets of OEM weights on the rear. Good luck plowin, chains don't compare to lugs by the way, I used them some last Aug with the rake.

Dutch, All the reasons given for swivel are good plus one more. In parts of the country that are hilly the ground is plowed "around" the hill and therefor they don't plow in a straight line but plow straight, left and right angles. Marion W. Kerr