Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

712S to 712H

OrangeMetalGuy

It's done (well, I still have to hook up the brake pedal, but I never use it anyway). This was a very easy swap.. well worth the effort... nothing like the control of a hydro. Still need to finesse the neutral adjustment so it doesn't creep, but it's close enough as is. I was a little nervous because it took quite a while to get the hydro primed... but finally she would turn the wheels. If anyone needs a good Shuttle rear (minus the wheels/tires and weights, those will make it onto one of my hydros before winter) let me know. I'm NW of Baltimore MD.

Lookin' good. Going to be a worker? Looks too nice to work; maybe it would enjoy retirement. Just go out for Sunday drives. sm01

This will be my snow machine (snowblower, ag's, and weights). No grass and hay to dirty it up. Amazing how clean snow makes a tractor.

Don't take this wrong, the work looks excellent, but why didn't you just restore the hydro to begin with? Or did you just come across a hydro rear end?

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Don't take this wrong, the work looks excellent, but why didn't you just restore the hydro to begin with? Or did you just come across a hydro rear end?
The hydro I had didn't have an engine. I came across a 712 Shuttle and did some restoration work, but wasn't crazy about the Shuttle transmission. So, I unbolted the hydro rear (from the 716 w/no engine) and bolted it to the Shuttle front.