Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
laytonlight

Roller Help Wanted and a Free Tip

laytonlight
Ok, first, the tip. I’m not sure if anyone has posted this before, probably have, but I didn’t see it in my searches on decks and rollers. I bought four of these for another project (Lowe's about $6 a piece.) and found they work great for rolling my 42” deck from under the landlord. One at each end of the rollers and one at the front at the apex of the curve, and it rolls right out. When you get it out you can stand it up from the front and maneuver it around on the two remaining casters.

Now on to the help needed. I was cleaning under the deck for after my last mowing and found that the anti-scalp rollers under the deck were next to each other. Apparently whatever was holding the one to the side had broken and it slid over next to the other one that was being held in place by a cotter pin. The reason I say "whatever was holding the other" is that I can’t, for the life of me find the hole for the cotter pin on that side. Have I lost my mind? It’s got to be there, right? I even moved the roller back and forth and cleaned the bar where it should be and can’t find it. Also, I read a post recently where someone used a locking collar at the outer roller ends. Can someone point me to that post? Would that work, if I took the anti-scalping assembly out and used them? Northern tool has these [url]http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_35037_35037[/url] for $3.99 they are 5/8” ID. Is that the right one? As always, any help is greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way, I did a very temporary fix by using a hose clamp to keep the roller in place.

PhanDad
Should be a hole for a cotter pin:

Shaft in position inside the baffle:

The above are for a 42" deck. You can see the hole spacing is about 3 1/4". The bar is 5/8" diameter, so the locking collars should work.

osenga
that would be a great way to move tthe decks around . But I have a stone floor out in my shop so it wont roll to good for me. So I just use a 2 wheel dully and does the job. And yes it is 5/8 what you need .

rsnik
It might be worth mentioning or not, but, when removing the deck, use the lift, whether manual or power, to relieve the front pins and make them easy to remove. When installing, pin the lift cable first and lift the deck to make installing the front pins easy. When married, remove the pins and the belt and turn the wheels to the right. Work the deck to where it has no further obstructions and is ready to pop out. Then go ask for your wife's help to pull it out. Let her do most of the pulling. Praise her lavishly for her ability. Next time you find that tractor you need to move on instantly or lose it forever you will get to the "yes" much quicker.