Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

landlord_3410

10hp conversion to 16hp ??

landlord_3410
I've got a '74 Landlord 10hp, the motor is getting tired in it and i found a 16hp briggs for sale locally for $175. It's an older motor, and the guy said he removed it from an Allis/Simplicity, so it should bolt up right??? Would it be worth getting the bigger motor and putting it in or should I just rebuild my 10 horse??

landlord_3410
I just talked to the guy that has the motor. He said that the motor doesn't have a starter/generator like mine has. He mentioned that I would have to make a small wiring change, what is he talking about, is it a big deal? Thanks for the help!

PhanDad
We need more details to answer your questions correctly. "Older motor" usually implies a starter/generator, not the newer Briggs with separate starter and stator/rectifier for +12v. If the engine is a newer Briggs with separate starter and stator/rectifier, then the "small" wiring change is most likely taking the existing voltage regulator out of the tractor and wiring up the separate starter and hot +12v from the rectifier back into the tractor. It's not a big deal. Other "small" wiring change could be that the Briggs was converted to a battery ignition rather than the normal magneto ignition. This would require a different switch. And I agree with Ray, $175 for a good running 16HP single cylinder Briggs is a good deal.

goatfarmer
I pulled the original 10Hp out of my 3410, and replaced it with a newer (circa 1985) 11HP Briggs. There were a few mods needed, the biggest one being obtaining the correct voltage regulator. most everything else was pretty straight forward.

MrSteele
If the engine really is out of a Simplicity/Allis, there will be little trouble just dropping it back in its new home. Howerver, I used one from a Ford several years ago. It required a flywheel change for the connection to the drive shaft, a different(used the old) S/G bracket, and replacing the oil sump, again used the old off the 10 I was replacing. The only other consideration is the 16 has a dipstick, and unless you want to remove the hood to check the oil all the time, you can either plug it, or leave it in if it does not interfere with your sheet metal. I changed sumps for two reasons, one, I did not want to have to remove the hood for oil checking, the other, the oil add/drain holes would have been either in front or behind the engine, and either place would have been too much trouble.