Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
gregnorth

4041 powermax bogging down

gregnorth
i've been having a problem with my engine bogging down/ loosing power after running full throttle for 30 minutes or so. i was wondering if my coil could be getting hot and not producing enough spark. i checked it with my ohm meter after it cooled off and it shows 5 ohms across the -/+ and 40,000 ohms across the 2 plug wire holes. i would appreciate your opinions. thanks, greg

gregnorth
OK. I CHECKED THE OHMS ON THE COIL WHEN IT WAS HOT. ACROSS THE PLUG HOLES I STILL HAVE 40,000 OHMS AND ACROSS THE -/+ I READ 9 OHMS HOT AS OPPOSE TO 5 OHMS COLD. DOES THAT MEAN ANYTHING? AND YES I'M YELLING. EVIDENTLY NO ONE HEARD ME BEFORE. THANKS AGAIN, GREG!

metaldr
Greg, Make sure that your choke is not coming on slightly as you run it. My 9020 will do that and I don't notice it until it starts to stutter a little and blow a little smoke. The choke knob on the dash doesn't move but if I lift the hood I can see that the choke has closed slightly and caused the loss in power. I don't think your problem is an electrical one unless the engine actually starts "missing" after running for the 30 minutes or so.

gregnorth
thanks for the response guys.that choke thing could be the problem. i have noticed the choke knob being out a little but i never checked under the hood to see if the choke was closed some when the knob was in all the way. i'll check it out. thanks again, greg.