Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

LH hub square head set screws 312H?

sammiefish

Im having trouble removing what I thought was the pointed set screw on my 312H. It broke off in the hub. I am in the process of drilling it out on the press. Unfortunately my second bit broken below the elevation of the hole.... so not being able to just simply drill a broke drill bit with another drill of the same hardness....im picking I may need to go to a milling machine... but... Im trying to determine the characteristics of the distal end of the set screw. It was my general impression that it was a square head 3/8NC set screw with a pointed end.... now I check the parts list... it lists cup points for both key and axle set screw... does anyone know for sure what was used in the LH cast hub of the 300 series? It would matter some if I go to the mill... thanks.

I just pulled the screws out of the 410 rear that I have. They are cupped on the end. I have never seen a pointed one used on this type of application. The cupped point screws grab and hold better.

My B-1 had a cup point set screw over the key and a pointed set screw going into a spot drilled cone. Don't know what the logic was but is/was a poor design. Two cup points would be much better.

Another example of I dont know what... I just got the set screw out and it was indeed a pointed set!! holy moly!! so im not sure which way is up.. i guess you just have to tear into it and get 'er done... OK, so, what is the opinion... fill the hole in the axle and use a cup pt. or just use a pointed set and probably break that one off too???

thanks guys, thats what Ill do... surprising..to me as the 312H is the orange sticker flavor... and points and condenser as opposed to the earlier breakerless ign.... so i would have guessed that the axle would have been the newer style rather than the b-1 or b-210 style but hey, i guess even the big guys use what they "got" unless this is an older axle as replacement... who knows... I guess the 310 is nice as I know its whole history.... : )

The axle on my 410 is a hybrid. It has the removable left hub like the older Simplicities, and the spring loaded spyder gears in the diff, like the newer Simplicities. The 300 and 400 series tractors were built just after the government broke AC and Simplicity apart because they supposedly had a monopoly. AC made these tractors on their own, separate from Simplicity.

sammiefish
well, cleaning out the threads in the LH Hub this am... I noticed that I cracked the hub when I pulled it off the shaft... there was too much bolt left and using the puller I did hear a crack but thought it was the bolt... oh well, now Ive got a WTB classified... :(!

Assemble the cracked hub to the axle with the key and set screws, then weld, or have it welded, to the axle. Will require a special nickel welding rod but don't remember the number for that type of rod. I did this to my B-1 a long time ago and it is still holding/working.