Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
lumpy

swapping a th18 for a th18

lumpy
I am helping a single mother who smoked a TH18 on a sovereign , she has a second sovereign with the identical motor that starts and works fine, How difficult is it to just swap it out? 4 bolts and the drive shaft? plus electrical. what kind of time am I looking at , want to help her as funds are low for her and anything I can do would help her. sometimes I get myself into more work than I really want to take on but this one the surface looks uncomplicated and the Lord seems to have found a way to put me in the bulls-eye of this one. The tractor with the smoked engine is mechanically in better shape that the other that is why I am considering this. Your guidance is much appreciated.

cwm1276
I would read up here as there was a bunch of discussion lately about that engine. Some of it included ways to extend the life of the engine which normally has been known to have short life. I just don't want to see you do this for her and then have her with another blown motor in another year.

Al
Hi, Should be a straight forward swap. Unbolt and bolt in. We have some of these engines running with over 1000 hours on them. It seems like the ones that passed the infant mortality period continued to survive. Al Eden