Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Vassal

3 Speed Teardown - Q & A

Vassal
This is a follow up to my "Stuck 3 speed - what next?" thread....I'm sure I'm over thinking this but after reviewing the diagrams which show some springy thingies and other potential gremlins, I'm a bit paranoid about goofing up and ending up behind the push mowerXX( FYI: I will NOT swap in another trans that I don't have, I see no sense in delaying the inevitable, so if I can't fix this for a min. of another 5 years of service, to the heap she goes. 1968 727 Broadmoor #990488/9 - 3 Speed Transmission Sticking in two gear at once. I used the search function to look up past info, so hopefully I'm not kicking a dead horse here. I have the Parts Manual and Owner's Manual, but no "how to" info on trans overhaul, so other than the parts diagrams with a few torque specs, I have no other assembly specifications. Yesterday, I pulled the back half, degreased/pressure washed and stripped it down to the assembled trans. I also ordered a case gasket and a few other bits. My plans are to open up the trans and see if I can simply adjust the shift rod guides (roll pins) to the minimum spacing so it wont be able to grab two gears at once. 1) Can this be done without a complete component-level tear down? 2) Can the trans case be split while laying on one side with the brake/pto side pointing down so the pulley side can be lifted straight up and off >> OR << the other way around? 3)Should I plan to just do a complete tear down and push-mow for a while? 4)Anything critical to keep an eye on or helpful hints?

bud119195
put the trans in a vice with the drive pulley side up and split case.there is 2 roll pins that you have to push out first in order to split it,While you have it apart look closely at the hi lo pinion gear, I have had 3 transmissions apart that all had the same problem.

sammiefish
sorry to hear the trouble... but go for it!! when you re-assemble you might need 7 hands but... i dumped my hydro transmission on the floor splitting the case to replace the axle tube (well, not really.. but it could have easily happened)... for me it would have been best to retain all the shafts in the small half of the case... cant speak to the 3 speed though... certainly on its side will be easiest for slow disassemble and also reassembly...

Vassal
OK, I will should finally get the chance to open this up today. I just want to confirm which side of the case to pull off. It seemed most logical to pull off the shallow side of the case (PTO side) so the guts would stay in the deeper side (Input side), but it seems like I got that backwards right? So, I should pull the deep side and everything will stay put, standing up in the shallow side of the case? Also, how do I get the roll pins out BEFORE I split the case? Are they attached/pressed into a screw-in plug or something in the case? Sorry, but I can't picture how to pull a roll pin that's recessed in a housing. I don't think I can drive them IN so they fall out because it looks like they will hit each other since they're directly opposed inside case.