Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 - Fuel Solenoid, my bad! - Any suggetstions?

mroman59

Was working on my 6216 tractor and my hand hit the wire to the fuel solenoid and snapped the little prong write off it. No way to save it. I don't like that design. Now I have to buy a solenoid which they probably wont have in stock at my Simplicity dealer. I saw prices ranging from $80 to over $100 on the internet. Other Briggs solenoids for other engines were as low as $30. Geez! Does anyone know a good place and better price for this part? Can you get a universal solenoid some how and make it work on that carburetor? Thanks, Mike

PS - the engine model is 402707-0145-01. The part no. for the fuel solenoid is 397266. It hurts when you have to pay that kind of money for a small part and you can get a brand new engine on sale or close out price for $600 for that tractor.

HI, If you don't mind t he afterfire issue, remove the solenoid and cut or grind the tip off and put it back. Engine will work fine, but you may get the bang on shut down like the engines before solenoids had. Al Eden

quote:
Originally posted by Al
HI, If you don't mind t he afterfire issue, remove the solenoid and cut or grind the tip off and put it back. Engine will work fine, but you may get the bang on shut down like the engines before solenoids had. Al Eden
dOddOddOd

Al is right. If you look in the B&S service manual they have the same model carburator with a simple plug in the place of that solenoid. They run fine capped off. Just make sure everything is adjusted correctly and you'll be fine. Don't forget to idle the engine down before you shut if off! I'm sure a lot of guys can agree it's very annoying when I catch someone doing that to their tractor.

Been there, done that to a Vanguard engine. Even though the solenoid no longer worked, I never got the afterfire pop. May have been because I richened the carb a little and was not running lean and hot like most of the factory setups.