Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Rear Mount Garden Tillers------------

LesH

How does the Simplicity/ AC rear mount tillers compare with the older JD & Cub Cadet brands-- as far as depth/ chopping up the soil?? The basic design looks the same.

My opinion is no matter what brand you have, you are sitting down as opposed to walking. My 2110 with the 32" tiller does a fantastic job. The only thing I don't like is when a stone or a tree root gets jammed in the tines. Also, you need to run say east-west THEN north-south to till down the "hump" that the center of the tiller leaves. I even adapted a 30" tiller onto my Serf. At a whopping 5 hp, The engine works hard, but I really didn't like the way the tiller "floats". I can't put any down pressure on the attachment while it's running because of the way the lift is designed. Between brands, some of then use a shaft to drive the tiller as opposed to a belt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Sears even sells a self-powered tiller for their tractors.

I have one of the sears self powered units, it works ok, chops the soil good as it spins faster then the Simplicity but is lacking in good tine design. I think the tine design on the Simplicity is either called 'the bolo tine' or a good copy of them, best I've used, same as a troybuilt. Also had a shaft driven on a Wards gilson, worst tiller I ever used. The shaft would wrap up with veggie matter if you didn't mow it first, the tractor would high center if the rear wheel dropped in the tiller furrow at the end of the run if you backed up because the tiller gear box didn't raise up. gor rid of it. Like my Simplicity well.

I have used Simplicity tractor mounted tillers for 40 Yrs. They do have limitations due to their size, but for the purpose they were intended for, I don't think anything is better. They are in my opinion, "garden tillers". I have used mine for other tasks, sometimes with good results, sometimes not. As for the center "hump", I always go over the ground twice. The second time, I just move over 1/2 the width of the tiller. Does a superb job! I have been doing custom tilling for close to 40 yrs., and have done as many as 85 gardens in a year.

I always move over 1/2 way or drive down the center with one set of wheels at least for a second pass. Even better if you can cross those 2 passes with passes crossways. I have only been tilling for close to 20 years, but sure have done many things that it was never meant for. :D

I have used my nephews IH Cub Cadet 149 with #2 tiller a few times. First off it takes alot of time just hooking the tiller up to the tractor. Second.. It uses an extremely long belt($$)that runs from the front of engine,down and back to the rear of the tractor. Thirdly.. the 149 is a hydro drive with hydro lift, however if you step on the brake/clutch the hydro returns to neutral. If you are lowering the tiller into hard ground it pushes you forward. If you try to use the brake/clutch, it pushes you forward faster yell. I can hook my tiller up to the AC 314H with electric lift in less than 5 minutes, drop the tiller in ground and control the tractor with the hand lever or brake/clutch pedal. My tilling can be done before my nephew is out of his garage.

I had a Wards like Marty describes also. Had the same problems. That being said, it did do a nice job of tilling. I now have an Allis 810GT with tiller. Mounting is quick-about 10 minutes for mine-and it does a great job. I do wish I had a live pto tho. I have to have the tractor in gear and moving and then lower the tiller with it running. That is the only complaint I have, and it is a small thing. I do love the job it does! Steve

quote:
I can hook my tiller up to the AC 314H with electric lift in less than 5 minutes, drop the tiller in ground and control the tractor with the hand lever or brake/clutch pedal. My tilling can be done before my nephew is out of his garage.
hmmmm. 314... 5 minutes... and I know he's not kidding :D nice setup !! for me ... i think the 310 is maybe gonna be tiller only... a nice set of autumn years...even though its the best and most solid tractor Ive got... my 9 year old son just re-tilled... (weeded) with the 310 and 36" and is he psyched!! and like others have said... just keep tillin' til the trough is gone..."

i have a 36 on my 2012..it does anything i have thrown at it...it does leave a hump in the middle though so i just go over that spot again...more tractor time!!!

I have 3 different GT brand tillers,AC,Bolens and Sears.The Bolens is by far the most heavy duty with the best digging ability,The Sears is the one with its own engine and I adapted it to a Cat 0 hitch,it does a good job,The AC tiller on a 712S and it does a nice job but is the lightest built of the three and I use it mostly for cultivating and is great using it for that application don't think I'd want to tear up a much of a garden plot from scratch with it though.That said 3rd class riding in front of a tiller beats 1st class walking behind one any time:D