Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 - Brake Clutch Group - help

mroman59

On a 6216 tractor I am trying to adjust the brake but when I follow the instructions it does not seem to make much difference. I wanted to inspect the brake band to determine how much lining is left. It is located just behind the left side panel(axle wrapper panel) near the axle shaft. Does anyone have any tips on how to inspect and even remove this part if it needs to be replaced? I am hoping you dont have to drop the transmission, but I can see any other way right now. There is a little side panel bolted onto the main panel, down by the axle. I thought if I could remove that I might be able to see, but taking that off is even difficult because I cant get a wrench behind the panel to hold the nut while I turn the bolt. Does anyone have any experience in doing this and have any tips for me? Thanks, MR

If you have a 3/8" impact you can spin the bolts/nuts fast enough to get the panel off. I've done it before to get the axle assmebly out, but you have to be pretty creative with a box end wrench to get them back on. I don't remember if it gets you access to the brake band though. Is everything freed up in your adjustment rod? If you get under it and watch it operate it might reveal a bad or broken spring or maybe the sleeve is seized. Just some idea. Otherwise I think you're looking at dropping the rear end. Maybe one of the other guys has another suggestion or easier way. I myself always wondered how you get the transaxle out of the frame without taking the right axleshaft out first. You'll see what I mean when you try to drop it.

I inspected the area. The brake band does not appear to be broken. I can still adjust it. I can not see the lining on the brake band though, its just not visible. I can see part of the drum. It is shinning and hard to miss. The hub on the axle shaft makes it difficult to get an impact wrench in there. The bolts on the small side plate are hard to get a wrench on, however the main panel (wrap around panel) can be loosened from the transmission housing by removing two bolts on the left had side and a U bracket around the axle on the right side. So I tried to at least disconnect the transmission and see if I can lower it enough to expose the brake ban. Then bolt head snapped off and now I will need to drill and tap out the threads. What a mess. The problem I see though is that the hub of the axle (the part where the wheel mounts) gets in the way of getting a drill bit in there, even if you had a right angle drill. The bolt is very close to the axle. So now I am focused more on solving that problem and have accepted that I will have to drop the trany to get to that brake band. If anyone has had this experience, I would appreciate your advice. Thanks, MR

6200 service manual says you have to remove the tranny......sm00XX( or it only mentions the brake in the tranny removal section....

OK, well I took off the seat, then unbolted the wrap around panel from the frame, all the places I could see. Removed those little plates on each side of the tractor on the panel. Once those were removed I could pull back the panel away from the tractor and pivot it backwards. This exposed the trany and brake ban enough where I could remove the brake ban. The brake liner is in excellent condition however it came loose from the ban and I will have to epoxy it on. It still should have worked with adjustment because the lining cant move anywhere and should grab on the drum. Also, I am now able to see the bolt that broke off in the trany and I might be able to drill it out, however I have to go purchase a good quality drill bit of that will be long enough to get to the bolt as I try to drill it by going through that extra hole in the wheel hub of the axle. Its almost a straight shot. Dont think a angle drill will fit. I am kind of lucky that I wanted to exam the band because both bolts would have broken off soon. The second bolt that holds the panel to the trany was almost shear off. If I would have put to much torque on it it could have snapped also. I am not sure why these bolts did not have lock nuts. With all the vibration over the years they worked there way out enough to start to wear the head right off. Thanks for you help

Make sure that you inspect the top trans mount for cracks while you have everything out. When I bought my tractor the bracket was broken in half and the previous owner kept driving it in that condition. You can't imagine the damage it does.