Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Finally had to build a rear hitch

Nuzzy

We heat our home with wood. Thus, wood harvesting is always on my mind. Not always easy getting my truck and trailer back in the woods, so I figured I'd bring the woods to my truck and trailer. :p I recently built this a log arch to pull behind my 900. Pretty straight forward, though I did end up with wheel bolt patterns that were metric instead of the 5 on 5 I though they were. I'd already purchased the hubs/spindles and didn't feel like shipping them back. No problem, just cut out the old centers and welded in new ones that I cut out on the plasma table. Figured it wouldn't be going above 7 mph anyways! The receiver on top is for my multi mount winch. That'll take care of lifting the logs into place. Still have to burn on my pulley and some chain hooks and do final paint. [IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/yzzun/Photo0110Small.jpg[/IMG] But, this left me with another task... I had used a lunette ring on the arch since I like them better than trailer balls. However, I needed a way to hook it to the tractor. Sure I could've probably bought something, but where's the fun in that??? So tonight I made a hitch that should serve multiple purposes. It will hold the lunette eye with a 7/8ths hitch pin, and is fully adjustable height wise. I'll make another adapter that will hold various sized trailer balls as well. I also wanted it to be quick on/off, so everything is (or will be once I get more) pins. [IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/yzzun/Simple%20TrACtors/Photo0123Small.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/yzzun/Simple%20TrACtors/Photo0121Small.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/yzzun/Simple%20TrACtors/Photo0124Small.jpg[/IMG] The upper support has the second set of holes so that if I need to set the sliding piece in a way which would interfere, I can utilize a different set of holes and still keep the hitch pretty vertical. It was the best I could come up with to allow a full range of motion of the slider. Now we'll see how/if it works... :I

looks like it should work good ^. i dont know if i would trust them cables on the tailgate thou sm00.

Looks good. I made a similar hitch to keep my splitter level so I would not have to unhitch it to use it, and still be adjustable for trailers.

Nice work fellas! Nuzzy, can't wait to see this in action, please keep us posted! HINT: lots of picsdOd

Well, I may have some things to reconsider... It has been brought to my attention that having my attachment point so much higher than the center line of the axles may greatly increase my chances of tipping backwards if I were to get hung up. I'm still such a tractor newbie... :I Does make sense though. I'll certainly keep this around, but I may be better off lowering the lunette eye on my log arch so it attaches closer to or below the axle.

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
Looks good. I made a similar hitch to keep my splitter level so I would not have to unhitch it to use it, and still be adjustable for trailers.
That's a good idea Comet!

Nuzzy, What you have been told is correct. With a tractor, the higher the trailer (or chain if pulling) is attached to the tractor the greater the chance of flipping the tractor over. It would be best to attach the trailer below the axle, but often this is not possible. You should be concerned, and moving the attachment point is the right thing to do. Rick.......

quote:
Originally posted by RickS
Nuzzy, What you have been told is correct. With a tractor, the higher the trailer (or chain if pulling) is attached to the tractor the greater the chance of flipping the tractor over. It would be best to attach the trailer below the axle, but often this is not possible. You should be concerned, and moving the attachment point is the right thing to do. Rick.......
Thanks for verifying Rick! I would hate to find out the hard way B) I'm sure I can still find a use for the upper portion of this hitch, but I'll work on correcting my arch so that it can attach as low as possible.

If you guys are worried about flipping over backward, all you have to do is attach a chain to the lowest part of the tongue of the trailer, then attach the other end to the lowest part of the hitch on the rear of the tractor with very little slack. If the tractor tries to raise the front up. the chain will pull tight and prevent it from raising any higher. Here is my hitch. Not only can the mount be loosened and slid up or down to a new position, but the whole assembly can be raised or lowered with my hydrolift. I have had to put additional weight on the front of my tractor several times when moving heavy trailers to prevent the tractor from raising up and help with the steering.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Bill725
    • CarlH
    • mbsengineer
    • maxwood
    • Darl Swartz
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts