Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

Kohler Model K532S Engine----------------

xenon172
Most parts are still available but they aren't cheap. In my opinion this is probably the best twin Kohler ever made. John Deere and Wheel Horse are they only two tractor companies that used them as far as I know but there might be others

midnightpumpkin
Les, Good luck putting a K532 in a Simplicity frame. We have Ugly Betty, a 4040 with a K582 (same engine, larger bore). The PO installed the engine, to get the starter to clear the frame, they raised the engine 4" above the crank centerline of the original Onan. Here is a picture of the problem area. I can't even imagine putting this engine in a large frame tractor.
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4756597506_15fdb3ce0c.jpg[/img]
On the plus side, it is a great running engine, it makes the original Onan look like a toy by comparison. Parts, where available, are about the same price as Onan parts, not cheap as xenon172 said. Bolens also used this engine in there GT series tractors. John U

Tiny
John, I recently bought a 9020 that apparently has this same engine (K532 or 582) in it although I can't tell the exact bore because there are no ID decals on it. I never realized it was a Kohler because almost everything was the same as my 4041 Onan equipped tractor. Oil filter, dipstick tube, exhaust and etc. looked the same. Then I noticed the carb and air cleaner weren't the same and started looking a little closer and found the large Kohler label embossed in the sheet metal on top of the blower housing. Mine sits right down in the frame much like the Onan and is very close to original height as near as I can tell. There is a cutout even with the bottom of the frame on the left side for the oil drain hole and a small (maybe 1" X 3") hole cut out near the starter but it looks to have plenty of room in that area so I have no idea why they even did that. The front clutch is mounted and looks the same height as the Onan but I haven't checked it closely yet to see if it is. Another thing I'll have to check is the belts for the clutch are missing and I'm going to take those off the 4041 to see if that's the same when I get a chance but for now it looks like a shoe-in engine. I'll know more later once I get a chance to work on it some more. I just bought this tractor and the owner I got it from had no real knowledge of what he had so it's play it by ear for now but like I said this one looks almost identical to the Onan dimensions and height etc.. I'm going to look things over a little closer in the next few days. OK, I just went out and looked at this 9020 again and it appears the frame has been stretched under the engine by 3" unless there is a huge difference between the 4041 and the 9020, I measured the heavy steel frame under the engine where it goes from roughly the battery back to the blower housing area and found it is 15" on the 9020 with the K engine and it's 12" with the Onan. This doesn't look like a welded in piece either looks like it's original because I see no obvious differences in the steel that would lend to something being hacked in. I was wondering why there was a 3" difference where the hood matches up to the dash. Hmmmm..

sammiefish
Tiny Hmmmm. is right... gosh, I love hmmmmmmmm's.... sometimes... you said: "OK, I just went out and looked at this 9020 again and it appears the frame has been stretched under the engine by 3" unless there is a huge difference between the 4041 and the 9020, I measured the heavy steel frame under the engine where it goes from roughly the battery back to the blower housing area and found it is 15" on the 9020 with the K engine and it's 12" with the Onan. This doesn't look like a welded in piece either looks like it's original because I see no obvious differences in the steel that would lend to something being hacked in. I was wondering why there was a 3" difference where the hood matches up to the dash. Hmmmm.." were these "holes" there originally or did you mean "they"= PO if the frame was added to (as a completely professional and perfect job) would you be able to see this evidenced by linkages or steering rods or something? hmmmm is right...

Tiny
I tried to edit my first post and didn't do something right. Moderator, please delete one or the other. OK, the hole in the left frame rail for the oil drain is obviously something "aftermarket" as evidenced by the cutting torch slag. On the right side it isn't a hole it is a divit cut into the top of the frame about 1" down and 3" long, this also cut with a torch. I can't tell why it is there because everything appears easily to fit in that area. The drag link looks to have been cut and added onto as there is angle iron welded top and bottom.

midnightpumpkin
Tiny Veddy Interesting!!! I can see where streching the frame would allow the engine to sit down in where it belongs. My engine is mounted on a 3/8 steel plate that bridges the top of the frame rails from side to side. Now the question is; does your crankshaft center line line up with the rear PTO input shaft? Are the rear PTO components installed in the tractor? My tractor uses longer belts for the main drive and the mower mule drive. Both work very well, I just can't connect the rear PTO. When I bought the tractor the hood would not go on at all. I have raised the hood about the same amount as the PO raised the engine. With a little trimming the hood now fits on the tractor and looks factory stock to the casual observer. John U

Tiny
The rear PTO is not hooked up but it looks to be in line with where it would be normally. That is, there is a driveshaft but the hook up just isn't there. I never got a chance to try out the clutch belts but just by looking at it it appears to be workable as is with some belts. I'll get around to working on it in the next couple days and get back with you about what I find.

D-17_Dave
The 500 series engines are fabulous powerhouses. They were made in 20 HP versions and were used in the early JD 420's. I have one of these engines. I also have 2 of the 23 HP versions. One is an old engine that fell into my lap years ago. The other is on my tree limb chipper. They are great engines. IMO they are the best engines Kohler ever made and the pinicle of the L-head designed engines. BTW, I would have already put one of these engines in a spare powermax if it was anywhere close to simple. After all the work and still have only or near 20 HP I didn't feel the work and mods were worth it.

Tiny
I didn't get a chance to look at this any closer today and it looks like I'll be heading to Chicago for the race tomorrow morning so this will have to wait until after next Wednesday or so. It does look like someone put quite a bit of work into it to stretch the frame that 3 inches to fit the K engine in there though and it appears it's just a matter of getting longer belts for the mower deck. Clutch pulley looks like it is right in line and rear PTO looks acceptable but there is no driveshaft for the rear PTO and no rear clutch but there is a 3 pt. hitch so I believe it's just a matter of a little more tinkering to make this a worker around the house. For now I think I'll only be using the front snow blade and when I get a chance I'll see what else I can do with it. The engine runs like a bear compared to the 4041 so I like my odds with this one.