Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3415H

305SS

Hi, I have a 3416H I run at least once a week year round, and has been in the family since new in 1974. The biggest issue with these is the vickers hydro leaking. What would you like to know? I did a post on it when I joined, here is the link: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=111991

Very nice tractor Larry. I`ve had one sitting up in the barn waiting for a doner bgb it was given to me. Only the bgb housing was in it and the filter reservoir and hoses were missing. I did not ask question's when the owner gave it to me:D It`s been about 7 years now and I`ve been watching criagslist and ebay when I found one 50 miles north of me for 175.00, so I went to look at it. I was pleasantly surprised it was clean and straight with deck 48". It had no spark and the bgb was of course needed to be fixed. I will share more later I have to get ready for work. Keep those replies coming always love to hear about the famliy tractor.

My memory is cutting the 3-4 acres every weekend out on the farm. Thing never died, always started and was just like a tank. Dad finally traded it on a Sunstar, but I never liked the Sunstar as much as the 3415.

Well it took a couple of weeks and some money and I got her going.It runs great with a new set china made pointsXX(. The vickers is smooth as silk and I think that is why I wanted one with a vickers. I`ve got a couple hours on her now and so far no leaks. The deck I had to put bearings in two of the arbors because of water in them. So far it seems very economical to run but it seems to vibrate more than a 16 horse. Any one else have that experience? My free tractor came with chrome hub caps and the same wheel weights that Larry`s has. Thanks for the stories.

My Vickers hydro is smooth as silk, doesn't have that annoying lag of the Sundstrand, and I find the friction clamp much nicer to use than the significant force required to move the Sundstrands lever. Hardly leaks, eithert. I think the 16 HP is a bit heavier and vibrates less, but I dont have any direct experience there.

I have both B&S 15hp (325431) and 16hp (326431), and I cannot find any difference between them. Even the carb throat is the same. I have seen a throttle stop tab (prevented throttle butterfly to open fully) on some 32ci Briggs and they were called 14hp and 15hp. Remove the stop tab and you have a 16hp. It may be possible that my 15hp had the stop tab, but was removed before me. So I do not know why (nor have I experienced) a 15hp that vibrates more than a 16hp. The older engines with the external balance gears were much smoother than the later engines with internal counter balancers.