Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Short truck bed, long tractor - ideas needed

OrangeMetalGuy

Looking at a new truck, a Nissan Frontier crew cab. Problem is the tractor will fit in the bed with the tailgate down and the front wheels on the tailgate, but the tailgate is only rated at 200 lbs. I don't see any way to get it into the bed without collapsing the gate. Not really crazy about a long bed so looking for ideas.

Yeah but I have to put the ramps on the edge of the gate, which won't work. I will have one of those bed extenders (which folds over on top of the open gate. I guess I could take the gate off, load the tractor, then slip the extender on.

I hope ya'all know I am kidding. I am gonna have to get a long bed to carry my Allis long-frames and will take the gate off to load 'em.

how about a utility trailer? the tractor might be to heavy for the truck overall. due to being a short bed with a crew cab. (im thinking) trailer might be easier. put a ball on the tractor you have an oversize garden cart. just a thought

I used to put them in my S10 bed until I got a trailer. Once I got the 5'8' tilt-bed I found myself using the bed of the truck so seldom I decided to trade the truck for a Jeep Liberty and never looked back. The lib is a great trailer puller and much more comfortable. Nice thing of the trailer is it sits a lot lower and you don't lose your rear view mirror in the process.

dentwizz great minds think alike tilt trailer or a ramp gate would be good! occasionally with my ramps they would slip and your falling off not fun with a pick up best of luck with the new ride

Solved. I don't want to store a trailer on my property, but I checked and when I need one, I can rent a U-Haul trailer for $15 a day right up the street from me. After thinking about this overnight, I really don't want to be trying to drive a 1/2 ton tractor up a set of ramps. The trailer is a much safer solution.

quote:
Looking at a new truck, a Nissan Frontier crew cab.
:Y Maybe an American truck would work a lot better. dOd

Take one of those a-frames off the front of a VW Beetle and install if on the front of your tractor. Then you can put all your implements in the back of the truck and just pull your tractor down the road. Problem solved..........lol (I'd really like to see that going down the road)

Don't know what you are talking about. I have a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. I have hauled large-frame tractors in it with no problem. Didn't overload the truck, and didn't mangle my tailgate. I put a 64 Landlord on it and could shut the tailgate. The longer tractors have to sit on the tailgate a little. I have had 600 lb on my tailgate with no problems. Three guys sitting on it with their feet off the ground. Don't know where the 200 lb limit came from. I wouldn't hesitate to haul a large-frame with the wheels on the tailgate of mine.

used to haul our '64 LL with the tiller and all with my Dad's old Nissan Hardbody (before they named them frontier) we had a hill perfect for loading and used 2x6s to drive straight on no problems. Fortunately we have a drop gate trailer now... although I still have to use board to load it as the tiller is low enough with the pitch of the gate;)... go figure!!:o)

If you decide to buy a trailer, look for one with a lift gate instead of a tilt, if you plan on hauling more than one piece of equipment. Been there, done that. Load one piece, and the trailer tilts back into place, with the end a foot or more off the ground, and you still need ramps for the next piece. Got a drop gate, no more trouble. I regularly haul more than one piece of equipment, though.

A 200 lb rated tail gate doesn't sound right. There are more than a few PU drivers that weigh well north of 200 lbs. Surely a company wouldn't build a PU with a tailgate that will break when a big man steps on it.

Another option would be a set up like I have a Ford F550 wth a 14ft flatbed and a set of 13ft Alumium ramps:DReally a trailer is hard to beat.

I'm with Mark. A 200lb limit would just mean no use for the tail gate. I am well over the 200lb limit and from seeing the pics on this site there at least a few more of us that exceed the manufactures limit. Got to believe your tail gate can handle the load just fine. Especially since the load will be even across the gate with half on each side.

Seriously, test drive an F-150 crew. Very nice truck. I have a 2006 with 125k on it and not a problem or issue. It is also available with a 5-1/2, 6-1/2 and 8' box. (At least it was in 2006) A comfortable, quiet, strong tough truck. Tows great. Just my 2 cents worth. 8D

Even though the tailgate could tolerate the static load, the critical thing is dynamic load. When you hit a two-wheel wide obstacle such as a pavement seam(lots of pave projects here) it can make some serious accelerations/decellerations which result in remarkable force. Case in point would be my old mountain bike. I could stand on the handlebar and not sense any flex. Come down off a 1 ft jump smoothly and it folded in half. Load distribution of a large frame would be around 350-400 lbs on the front axle if I am not mistaken so factor in dynamics at driving speed and things get considerably heavier. Just something to consider.

You're putting WAY too much thought into this. I wouldn't hesitate to put anything that's in the back of my truck on the tailgate as well. Strap-er down and go!