Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ever really fix a plastic gas tank that leaks

AC_B-1Novice

I have one of those plastic gas tanks on this 7012 and the bottom right angle connection that the hose goes to will not quit leaking. I have tried gasket material, o-ring, po tried what looked like a gas tank sealer or jbweld. I bought a new elbow with a little longer thread on it and put an o-ring on it and it just spreads and then leaks. Have any of you guys ever found a way to fix these things? Help-Help

Joe Hemmi in Marlette MI has the continuous evilBay auction where he dismantles and sells tractor parts. I had the same problem and I just bid on a used plastic tank from him on eBay. I think I paid two bucks for it.

Did you try replacing this bushing? http://home.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=tank+bushing+simplicity&_sacat=11700&_odkw=tank+bushing&_osacat=11700&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313

Maybe the PO changed the tank. I'll post a picture later on today. It doesn't look like it could use that bushing and I don't need a new tank. larry

sounds like to me to he has one of the tanks that comes off the bottom of it . it has got like a elbow and you just put the fuel line onto it i have seen one like this . and if it is leaking there you would have to exope it up or buy a new one

After the 3400 series tractors they used the bushing. The 3400 series used a same tank but had a molded elbow in tank to put gas line on. Either way there was no O-ring.

I have repaired a plastic gas tank before. The problem is that the material it's made from is Polyethelene. If you could invent a glue that stick to this type of plastic you'd be a rich person. That being said, there are only 2 ways to do it. 1. You can make a mechanical repair. If it was a hole thru the tank, you could drill it out, and install a bolt thru it with o-rings to make the tank seal. Most of the time the hole id not in a suitable location for this, however. 2. You can weld the hole shut using a plastic welding kit (they sell a cheap version at Harbor Freight) and polyethelene rods. This type of repair can be done almost anywhere on a tank. Be careful welding on a gas tank for obvious reasons. When I did this repair, I filled the tank with water, then let it dry out before doing the weld.

RayS That is the tank. It doesn't leak from a crack or a hole, it leaks around the plastic elbow that bolts on the bottom. I tried a new plastic elbow but to get it to seat and not leak around it is becomeing quite a task. I think I'll take Brett's offer and just replace it. However I am still open to suggestions as to how to make this one work. Larry

I fixed a plastic tank by using a metal valve core for and aftermarket wheel. It fit in the wheel with a screw on piece for the outside with a rubber washer. I drilled the hole in the tank to fit the valve core, then ran a piece of metal coat hanger through the hole out out the filler neck. With the inner valve removed, I dropped the valve over the coat hanger and let it slide down to the hole. With a little wiggling, it slid into the hole. I held it with needlenose pliers and put on the seal and screwed on the nut. Once I had it tightened up, I reinstalled the tank and put the fuel line over the valve unit with a screw clamp to hold it on. Of course the actual valve assembly was never re-installed which leaves just a metal tube fore the fuel to flow through. I also did this on another tank by just taking a fully threaded bolt and drilling a hole down the middle of it, and making a seal with a piece of inner tube. Whatever works when you need it!

I have never done it on a Simplicity tank, but have had limited success on other tanks using a soldering gun with the plastic welding tip. The tip melts a strip around the crack or hole. For rods or patch material, I use plastic with the same number, heat the area around the leak, stick (literally) the patch over the leak, then heat the patch until it melts and shows signs of mixing of the patch and tank, then allow it to cool. The only problem with this fix is that it makes the patch and the area around it a bit more brittle. If the tank is subject to a lot of vibration, you may have a worse leak than when you started. Most plastic items have a number located on the bottom of them, such as 2, 3, 6, etc. The number will be formed into the plastic. Turn a bottle upside down and you will see the number. The tank likely has a number as well. The number is an indication of the type material in the item.

i drilled a hole where the leak was and cut 2 rubber gaskits. drilled holes in them too. put a bolt with flats and a lock washer and nut on it and it hasn't leaked a drop in 4 years. hardest part was getting the bolt inside the tank and thru the hole. good luck, greg.