Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

Stoneguard - Help Please

PhanDad
Does anyone have a "Late Model" Sovereign with a 48" deck with the long style stoneguard? It's part #16 in the schematic:

I'm trying to mount one on my 75th Anniversary Deck (after I beat the front edge back into the approximate factory location). Based on the schematic, my deck is missing the hole that has the red mark near it. I don't always trust the schematics because I've found in the past, the details aren't correct. (Or I haven't beaten the deck back into "factory" shape) If someone has a factory late model deck with the long stoneguard, I'd appreciate any available pictures of the front part of the deck where the long stoneguard attaches. Thanks.

CarlH
I don't have any newer decks with the new style stone guard but I've mounted them on old style decks. The only hole that I recall I needed to drill was the one for the back end of the stone guard. I'll look again but I am surprised that your 75th Anniversary deck doesn't have all the necessary holes.

PhanDad
Based on this pic from Bryan (osenga) of a factory install, the parts schematic isn't correct:

Two bolts hold the front of the guard to the deck shell (which makes much more sense than just one) and the support for the guard is inside the deck shell. Carl, my 75th deck does have the holes used in the above photo (plus a bunch more). Also has the back one. A little more bending on the deck shell, and I should be able to get it mounted.

dentwizz
It is a stone guard but it is more importantly a reinforcement against deck fatigue. All the decks I have seen without them ended up cracking along one of the contours/bends along the opening.