Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Patient little 728 Updated 7-09-10

ZippoVarga

Having had two neck surgeries has really slowed me down so far this Spring/Summer. Before I had the procedures done on my neck I had gotten started on freshening up the engine and spot painting. Well....This morning I forced my self out of the house to try and get the kinks out and managed to finish the fender pan. So....in a few days I'll throw the old 728 back together. I think back to when I restored the 3212V and how it only took me 35 days from start to finish, and that was taking every nut and bolt apart. This little 728 has been a WIP (work in progress) for going on 4 months now!!! It's frustrating that my body is forcing me to slow down, but I am determined when I start a project, that it will get finished. Now on to a couple pictures of the progress.

I didn't take as much care in prepping the metal and filling in the pits with the little 728, but it certainly looks better than when I first got it. Thanks for checking the pics out!! There is a video along with a story about my old 1964 Broadmoor and why I got this 728. Here's the link.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DC_3iyfw4 Enjoy!!

thanks zippo! i always love watching your videos, im a subscriber! good luck, hope your feeling better.

Sean, glad your forcing yourself to keep working on the equipment. The 728 is looking good as we all know how your projects turn out. Hope you continue to feel better.

4 months is how long it should take. My Yeoman has takin 5 months and still isnt done lol

And we come to today....My Mother, who lives with me and who I care for is caring for me today. She was "kind" enough to give me her flu! lol...So...I'll take it easy for a day or two, then back to the shop to finish up the old Broadmoor. Thanks for the kind comments all! Can't keep a man down forever!!

I like Bens Quote...lol "Done like Dinner!!!" Simple and to the point! lol. Thanks for the laugh Ben! I'd adopt your Quote if I didn't already have a dozen of them. Thanks Kenny!! It's no where near the quality jobs that I typically try to do. Mainly because I am not currently prepared to convert my shop over to a body shop like I did when I did the 3212V Sovereign. Too many neighbors machines to service at a moments notice. The Broadmoor just got a rattle can job on just the seat pan, top of the dash tower and hood. The engine got completely gone through though. Anyway...Thanks for the dOd. Jim, my reputation precedes me! I'm not that good at any one thing, I like to spread out my limited brain function...lol. Thanks a ton for the vote of confidence!! If not for this flu, I would be out there putting the old 728 back together. Thanks Tim! These little guys deserve some limelight too. After all...It's a Broadmoor that I started out with many years ago. Jared!! Welcome to the asylum! oh...I mean CLUB!!! :D If you haven't already, check out my youtube channel. I do videos on these old machines, Briggs engines and what ever I think is cool. I also do video requests to help people out if I can. Here is a link to my youtube channel and again, welcome to the best dern tractor club out there in internet land!! http://www.youtube.com/user/ZippoVarga

Looking Good Sean Don't let your ambition over load your body,there's always tomorrow. Good luck and I hope you continue to improve The site needs you and your videos. Willy

Thanks John and Jim!! Cabin fever is seriously taking control, but I'm listening to my body for the most part. Fortunately we've not gotten much rain so the grass isn't growing like crazy. So everything is patiently waiting.

wat size of Ags are those on the rear? 18X8.50-8s? I want those for my Yeoman now cuz the front tri ribs look to big compared to the 16X6.50-8 Ags on the rear, but the 18s might rub on my deck. lookin good with the Ags and Tri ribs. Thought i was the only one doin this lol

Nice thing about the tractors, they don't mind waiting however long it takes. Even more patient than my dog, who gets a bit impatient when he hasn't had his afternoon walk.

Heya Jared!! I've had ags and tri rib tires for years on my large frames. This is the first time I've gone that direction on a small frame. The ags on the back are 18x9.50x8. With your Yeoman rims, you will be pushing the envelope on getting them mounted on the stock narrow rims. But the good news is that you can swap the narrow rear rims for the wider Broadmoor rims with out any issues. Your wheel base is considerably shorter than my Broadmoors, so you may be right about the deck clearance with the larger Ags. But....if memory serves, the stock rear tires have a decent crown where these Carlisle Super Lugs have a flat profile. So you might get lucky with them working with the deck. You might throw out a new topic asking if any one has done that set up and if it works with your deck.

Finished her up Wednesday then woke up Thursday morning feeling like crap again...lol. I can't win for losing!! Anyhow, here's a couple pics of the old Broadmoor. Notice....this was just a freshening up, so there are still plenty of "character marks" on her. lol

And a link to the video of the old Broadmoor in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jd9FKjxusM

i think the might have the same frame. but wont get new tires till i can afford em. 16s were 80 for mountin and all so not bad