Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gotta love Craigslist

ZippoVarga

As I sit with by duffed ub dose and achy bones, I thought I would do a shout out for Craigslist. I've helped a number of people to find things they've placed adds for on there and a couple months ago I posted a wanted add for a set of big fatty turf tires to use on my next project, the Rat Rod. A 725 is donating it self to that project. I had given up any chance of finding a set of 24 or 26 x 12 x 12 turf tires with a flat profile on the cheap, but Friday evening I got an e-mail from a guy who was offering me a new old stock set that he never put on his Massey Garden Tractor. What made me skeptical was that he only wanted $20.00 for the set. But...sure enough...Here they are...

Bear in mind....I would have been happy with used cheng shin tires at 20 bucks. But.....these are NOT cheng shin tires....

Yep...Good Years!!! When I saw this I gave the guy another 10 bucks and told him "even with the extra 10, I still feel like I'm robbing you." He was happy and I was ecstatic. Once I mounted them on the new rims I just had to see how they fit, so I put them on my old Landlord. I was concerned that they would rub on the fenders, but with the big off set these rims have, they fit beautifully and actually have more tire to fender clearance than the Carlisle (Dico)23x10.5x12 Tru Power ags.

And the Good Year 26x12x12s

They're definitely BIG! Here's a shot with the 8 inch hub caps tucked deep into them.

After some searching I still haven't found this particular tire size in Good Year, but from the other makers prices I have a pretty good idea that I would have been into a comparable set for no less than 200+ bucks. Hopefully I'll be able to start hacking away at the rat rod project before too much longer.

Nice. Even with the extra 10 bux your picture should be displayed at the post office. 8D Where did you get the rims, and what is the offset? I have a set of 4" wheel spacers that I love for stability and traction on my 7114. But they are so wide they set the outside of the tires wider than the snow blower. A set of 2 to 2-1/2" spaces would be perfect, but a different set of rims might just be the ticket too.

WOW Zippo, you got some meats there.....lol. Looks awesome, but will it make second gear too fast to use for working?

My 26x12x12 DICO tires cost me $50 plus shipping from ebay several years ago. I thought I got a great deal. You stole those Goodyears!

I absolutely love the craigslist, the other day I broke a carb piece on my small 600w homelite generator, cost for a new carb 318.00, craigslist find next day within 20 miles, complete 600w homelite generator 20.00

Thanks for all the comments guys....since feeling better, the neighbors have come out of the wood work needing this and that on their yard machines, so I've been pretty busy. I have since mounted them under my 3426H just to see if they clear the fender pan and they do, with the off set rims. Here's a quick video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5KLM4iu14o