Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What do these #,s mean on a B1 engine

AC_B-1Novice

Baily (Andy) found these numbers on my B1 engine and thought it appeared to be a 10hp instead of an 8hp. As old as the B1 is I'm sure it could have had an engine replaced. Can any of you tell me what all this means? I may not have it seperated right. 243431 0123 01 68100? Thanks larry

The model# 243431 indicates a 10HP engine. The first two numbers in the code are 68 which indicates the engine was made in 1968. Too new for a B-1. Hope this helps.

Yup a good engine but definitely 10hp. The first 2 in the first set indicate CI displacement of 24. Lovely thing about old briggs in these units is they cross swap so easily.

Thanks guys...I thought it seemed to have a goodly amount of power. I don't mind at all it not being original to the B1 because this is a working tractor. Glad for your help on this, it also explains why the hood was jury rigged to fit over the SG mount. larry

Hi Larry, I always find the extra HP nice. Some folks like to keep things "original", others aim for "functionality". I'm sort of in between, and there's definitely room for both. Let me know if you need a parts manual as I have one I can send. John

I should finish putting one together sometime today. Parts are still readily available for the engine if you need any, may have to order the innards, but picked up gaskets and seals in stock