Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Twin 17 Help

ardisam

Last week I just overhaul a KT17. I put it in my brother's Allis 912H, and it ran fine. The problem that I am having is the frost plug that is behind the flywheel is leaking oil. I started with the plug that came with the motor. It is the one the has the O-ring aroung it. I also put the blue rtv slicone on the outside of the plug. With that plug I pulled the motor out of the tractor three times, then I found the plug that kohler came out later(without o-ring). I also put slicone around the plug and push it in the crankcase, and use a hole punch the make marks around the plug to keep it in. Again put slicone around the area where the plug goes in, it still leaked. Do I need another crankcase or what?:(! Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114H

On car engines, I have heard of threading hole and screwing a pipe plug in. Would this be an option?

I have never had this problem with the other three KT 17's that I have. As far as I know there is no rubber piece in the breather on the right cylinder, it did not have one when overhaul it. There suppose to be one there, but I think Kohler discontinue it. So I dont think crankcase pressure would be a problem or would it?

quote:
Originally posted by ardisam
I have never had this problem with the other three KT 17's that I have. As far as I know there is no rubber piece in the breather on the right cylinder, it did not have one when overhaul it. There suppose to be one there, but I think Kohler discontinue it. So I don't think crankcase pressure would be a problem or would it?
It is probably the cheapest thing to take out of the loop of possibilities. I had a freshly rebuilt engine pushing oil because of a plugged breather tube that got plugged by a mud wasp. Totally frustrated me looking for a more complex problem.

Hey, I know that when you disassemble the engine, Kohler says you are supposed to scribe the block and plug and align them the same when reinstalling. The plug needs to be installed when putting the crankcase halves together, I know the early kt17's had the stamped steel plug with no o ring, but the later models and magnums, i have only seen the aluminum plug with the o ring. Is your block scored where the plug goes? I haven't had one leak before, and cant see why one would unless something was scratched or gouged. I would imagine if it was a breather problem, the main seals would leak as the plug already has 50psi oil pressure on it if its a series 2 engine.

Oh, got thinking and i have to ask, is your pressure releif ball and spring under the front cover blocked by something and the oil pressure too high?

I think I might have to tear it down again, and make sure all the oil passages are clear. That could be the problem, but I know that I clean it really good. But who knows I could have missed something.