Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

lights, smoke, no mirrors

...so I have my 'new' 725 running very well and thought it time to (re)wire the non-working lights. Enough of the wires existed to indicate what I thought was a correct configuration. At the conclusion of the exercise I had working lights. I was showing my four-year old son the lights the other day when we noticed considerable amounts of smoke coming from the front and engine cavity. Turning the light switch off and taking a closer look revealed a lot of fried wires once leading to lights. I haven't gotten back to it to clean up the mess. Question: Is there a wiring diagram among those online at this site that you would suggest for these lights? My 725 has a push starter and a toggle light switch that works independent of the ignition. It did not appear to have a fuse inline between the switch and regulator, but I suspect that would have prevented the meltdown had it been there. Is that a correct presumption? Thanks for any and all advice. Galen

KenW
My 725 has a heavy (#12 copper strand) fused line from the battery to the light switch. Then from the switch to the front of the tractor where it branches out to two #14 or # 16 wires, one to each light. The lights are the original dual light kit but I don't know if the wiring is part of the original or was added later. Best ..... Ken W

Kent
Use the diagram for the oldest ones -- the B-1s were essentially the same as your 725... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/wiring/starter_gen.jpg