Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mohrds

2 peice Flo-Jet Carb questions.

mohrds
I've noticed two things about my carb that seem like they might be bad. First, the govenor rod that attaches to the throttle linkage (#97 in the photo) has a lot of play. The hole appears to be twice the size of the rod. Is this normal? Second, the throttle plate (#96 in the photo)seems to have a "catch" when it is closed all the way that makes it difficult to open unless enough force is applied to the linkage to "pop" it out of its groove and then it moves freely.

Are these things normal or do they contribute to a poor runner? Doug

Bailey
Depending on the vintage of the carb, or if it is a replacement throttle shaft, the oversize hole may have originally had a plastic insert. The throttle plate catch is probably a simple adjustment issue. The position of the butterfly in the shaft is not completely fixed. If the butterfly is slightly misaligned it will catch in the closed position. Just loosen the screw a bit and move the butterfly away from the side it's contacting .......

mohrds
Thanks. I checked in the Briggs manual, but didn't see an insert for my engine. I'll check the Simplicity manual and see if they say anything. I'll try adjusting the butterfly plate. Thanks for the tip.