Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bad new part

xenon172

Got an old Briggs cast iron engine in the other day that had no spark. The ignition system was as basic as you can get, Rope with a handle for a starter, Metal tab on the head that you push down on the spark plug to kill the engine. After looking things over it was easy to see that the points were bad. Replaced them and the condenser so things should have been fine but still no spark. Changed the coil with one we had that we knew worked and still no luck. Looked all over for a short and couldn't find one. Then came the over analyzing trying to find some little known obscure problem. Finally started from scratch and found the new points were shorted. Just made an assumption that the new parts were good which drove me a little closer to insanity. There's a moral here someplace but I don't want to think about it.

Ain't it strange how something as simple as a few beers can help most of us solve all the problems of the world?

quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
Ain't it strange how something as simple as a few beers can help most of us solve all the problems of the world?
Aint it the truth!!!

how about one of these - [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-MEGA-FIRE-IGNITION-MODULE-EASY-INSTALL-/250582436896?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a57e08c20[/url]

The customer didn't want electronic since it was his dad's mower and if points were good enough for dad they were good enough for him. Got the machine up and running and the clutches adjusted and the thing runs great. This is a pain in the neck machine to work on so my advise if anyone ever asks you to work on a Locke, don't. As a bonus we got a bottle of home made applejack so I guess the guy sort of thinks like most who responded to this post.

That mower reminds me of a Jacoben I bought a few years ago, only mine is a rider, and a few beers later, the only thing really wrong with it is that the governor is either missing, or out of place, which happens to some models on occasion. remember, beer helps!! I have found the Kohler plumbing parts to make mine original, though

As my engineer dad would say, "Assume nothing. Measure." I just ran through that prob with the points a little while ago. Kudos for figuring it out.

quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
That mower reminds me of a Jacoben I bought a few years ago, only mine is a rider, and a few beers later, the only thing really wrong with it is that the governor is either missing, or out of place, which happens to some models on occasion. remember, beer helps!! I have found the Kohler plumbing parts to make mine original, though
Wish I could send you a sample of this applejack which has kicked things up a couple of notches from beer. I think next election I'll be voting for Ike

Applejack? want my home brew recipe? It regularly tests at about 18%. Sometimes more. PM if you are interested

ive got an old 16 hp out of a 7016 which has the same problem no spark maybe beer will help ill give it a try well it worked for me not the engine.back to square one.