Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Uncle_Bob

Simplicity 7116 Starter Problem

Uncle_Bob
I have a Simplicity 7116 with a cast iron engine. It has the automotive type starter (not starter generator) I removed the starter from the tractor to find out that the plastic gear on the starter is stripped. The starter works fine, but I need the plastic starter gear that engages into the flywheel. Where can I get this part without going to a dealer? I do not have a part number. The gear has 17 plastic teeth on it. It is definitely the original one on the tractor. I just need this plastic gear so that I don't have to keep starting the tractor with a rope. If I go to a dealer they will want to know the part number which I don't have, so I would like to avoid all that. I appreciate any help. This is a code red situation. Thanks--Uncle_Bob

HubbardRA
Go to any small engine shop with the numbers from the motor. That will tell them what starter it is. The plastic gears on the newer starters are common failure items. They should be easy to get.

PhanDad
If you can't find just the gear, Briggs also has a parts grouping they call "Drive-Starter" which includes the plastic gear, clutch-drive, springs, etc. It's Briggs part #497606.