Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I got a 1998 Sovereign PICS added

johnmonkey

Hello all I was cruzing Craigslist and there she was a 1998 Simplicity Sovereign Hydro. It has a CH18 Kohler (command???) OHV engine. It came with a 48" deck and a leaf vac system and a hard side trailer, all for $750.00. The tractor was garaged kept AND WAXED 8D. She is by far the cleanest tractor I own. Now for the down side, she has a broken Bevel Gear Box :(:(. Question will a 900 series BGB fit on a 1998 Sovereign? Thanks all, jh PS I will post pics in a few days. jh

The 900 BGB will swap right in if the 900 had a hydro. If the 900 didn't have a hydro, then the cross shaft might be different and you would have to swap the cross shafts between boxes. The cross shaft difference would be on the tranny drive end; possibly different length, etc. Remove the tranny drive pulley and check it out. I think you got a GREAT deal. I'm anxious to see the pics, especially a close up of the deck stoneguard.

The BGB for the 3400, 700, 900, 7000 & 7100 series tractors will fit. The cross shafts for the shuttles, 6-speeds and hydros are the same. I dont have any available at this time.

It should be noted that the 34400 series boxes and early 7000 series will work fine, but the nut/threads that holds the PTO cap on are different. Smaller threads, smaller nut with a flange on it. When using a smaller nut type dont torque on with an impact wrench. You can bust the threaded stub off the end of the shaft.:O Been there done that beforeB)

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
pics or it didn't happen!
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/bsmeter.gif[/img]

Hmmm... ...the wire to that guage must still be connected to you Erik:D

quote:
the wire to that guage must still be connected to you Erik
yeah, it doubles as a blood pressure monitor.:(

Okay Okay where is the BS meter now huh?? I hooked up the blower / vac unit to my 7112. The Sovereign definately has a blown BGB. The dipstick was dry as a bone. Anyone have a spare BGB??? thanks for looking and I hope the BS meter flips back to "put on your boots" :D

Hey Rod, the engine in the Sovereign is a strong CH18hp Kohler (I think it is a Command??) does anyone know? She fires right up. The fastest thing would be to pull the CH18 and place it my 917. Will it directly swap with a Kohler KT17 series 1 ? Are all of the wires and ignition the same? jh

jh, I don't think you have a CH18 Command engine, but I can't be sure. The only pic showing the engine is a long distance shot showing the right side of the tractor and what detail I can see doesn't look like a OHV Command. Open the hood, take some pics of just the engine and post them. Then we'll be able to tell you what engine it is. Also, if you can find the mfg#, that will tell what engine was installed originally. And as to your "spare" gearbox issue: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/classDetail.asp?id=16358

Thanks for the replies, here are a few pics of the engine. The engine says Kohler OHC 18 V twin, pressure lube. jh

John, Humm, PhanDad was right. He has good eyes. Engine is the dreaded Triad OHC-18. What kind of engine is Rod talking about that you picked up???

Thanks Roy, Why is it a "dreaded Triad"? I assume its a bad designed engine. She fires right up and is smooth as silk. The engine Rod was talking about is a Briggs Twin I/C. I brought it down to Fredericksburg, Va. last summer in a box of parts. Rod has a engine mechanic friend that rebuilt the Twin. I want to use the twin I/C in my AC 917 that I bought a few years ago. It has the dreaded KT17 series 1 engine, with a broken rod :(. jh PS: I see that the engine does not say "CH" but "OHC" oops sorry. jh

Here's a link about the engine with Al Eden's definitive post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=111408&SearchTerms=kohler,ohc And based on this post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112390 I would say you're OK since you must be well past infant mortality. You'll have to be sure you keep the cooling air flowing and do other regular maintenance and hopefully you'll be OK.

Thanks Bill, I did find an archived post about the same engine:(. I will look into the HD air cleaner and air shroud / fin modification. jh

John, Al mentioned the Kohler's strong fan blowing chaff into the air filter housing and I agree with him. Even though my 75th anniverary tractor engine is a Kohler CH18 it was packed with chaff when I got it. Here's a pic showing the buildup:

And it has exit holes out the opposite side of the air cover! Good news is, the fins weren't plugged as can be seen in these pics:

Based on what I saw, I upgraded the inlet fan screen to the "chopper screen" which is standard for the Simplicity spec'd 62513 CH18 engine rather than the plastic inlet screen that came on the 62501 spec replacement engine. Hopefully that will lessen the chaff buildup.

John, In addition to Al's modification to the air cleaner shroud here are some additional suggestions to consider that should help the engine live longer. Install an electric fuel pump and remove the fuel pump from the RH valve cover. The OEM pump on the valve cover is mechanical with the activation arm running on the cam which slightly flexes the valve cover making it difficult for the valve cover gasket to stay leak free. e.g. Remove the pump activation lever/arm from the pump. Another option would be to install a Kohler pulse pump which operates from crankcase vacuum/pressure pulses. Not sure if the OHC engine has the necessary vacuum port in the crankcase. Install new valve cover gaskets. Remove the engine tin around the cylinders and make sure the cooling fins are not clogged with debris due to oil leakage. Don't know if they are available for your 48" deck but a "anti-blow back" kit will help reduce the amount of debris sucked into the engine. Blow the cooling fins out with compressed air after each use. Hopefully your OHC engine is one of the later ones that will last you a long time.

Thanks Roy, I plan on fixing the BGB in the winter, I will address the other issues at that time. jh