Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gilson tractor

TimJr

Hi all, sorry it isn't orange or yellow, but I picked this up for it's engine and rear wheels and tires. Are there people out there looking for old Gilson stuff? It has the cast iron oil pan that acts as the front end mount, and what may be a Vickers built hydro - similiar to our stuff, but not the same. Do they have any value? Just curious. I have no idea what model it is. The engine is a 32 cube Briggs, dated from 1971. Appears original. Tim

Looks to early 70's so I'd say good chance the engine is OEM. All you need is a proper oil pan. Believe the hydro's are peerless.

There's a Yahoo group for Gilson and another one for Montgomery Ward. The mowing deck, if solid, might have some marketable value. I sold one off a similar Gilson a few years back. The sheet metal and such, not really of value...

I yanked the engine over the weekend - had a cracked Simplicity oil pan to bolt to the block so the engine will sit on a shelf. I figure that Gilson oil pan may have some marketability to it. I will check out the Gilson forum. I am not interested in this tractor in any way other than for the engine and wheel, but I have a hard time scrapping something that is probably useful to others - I know how I feel when I see a Simplicity or A/C heaped up onto the scrap metal pile at a recycler. Tim

Sorry for the fuzzy pics - wasn't my camera. Used an old digital camera that uses the 3.5" floppy discs!!!!

if you where closer i would buy. ive kinda become the wards guy on ebay. i seem to find them all over in my area. dont scrap it, list it on craigslist. you ever get down to charlotte, MI area ?.

As I don't see a lift lever it must have the hydro lift like the 77 Wards I had. I'd get the cyl out of it, just to have around, if I were scrapping it out.

I would part it out on EBay. The hydro pump and hydro lift parts fetch some good money as I had parted one out a few years back.