Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity dealer in my area???

sammiefish

how can i find a simplicity dealer in my area that might actually be worthwhile for our interests?? any advice?? can i call simplicity and get a volume statement or something? my good buddys on here have been great.. but sometimes i just want some small thing... and add $5 shipping to a retaining ring is just wrong... $0.44 would be more appropriate my local dealer probably doesnt even know what an AC / simplicity tractor looks like.. and they can NEVER cross a 3/400 part on their own....out here it seems its all ferris ...

Simplicity's web site has a dealer locator, you enter your zip code and they'll list them out to a 100 miles, closest first.

You won't get a "volume statement." Look for well established dealers, its possible they're all gone in your area. I have to drive 50+ miles to reach a well experienced dealer here, luckily I don't need one because I stock all the common parts anyway. Go to all of the Simplicity dealers in your area and speak with them, ask how long they have carried the product line and if they have any techs that have experience with older machines.

I consider myself blessed then. There are four in 20 miles here in Lancaster. I second the AGCO thing. The AGCO guys here are the most knowledgeable since they used to be Allis from way back. They just have the little thing of sometimes needing to know what the AC conversion model was (such as B-10 vs Landlord).

I do have a good AGCO dealer but they typically dont stock the Simplicity stuff... it is a wait but always right... BUT i can call SL and its to my door quick... anyway... thanks... great suggestion with the AGCO... BTW, i thought i read they were gonna be done soon...???

This will sound confusing but not all AGCO tractor dealers sell the lawn and garden products as it was a separate contract basically with Simplicity to sell the "AGCO LAWN" product line. The AGCO lawn line has not been updated much recently and most of the agcolawn dealers switched to selling Simplicity branded mowers, while some have switched to cub cadet, grasshopper, or don't mess with residental equipment whatsoever. The AGCO agricultural tractors are slated to be discontinued as they will only make the Massey Ferguson, Challenger, and Fendt tractors from now on.

quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
I do have a good AGCO dealer but they typically dont stock the Simplicity stuff... it is a wait but always right... BUT i can call SL and its to my door quick... anyway... thanks... great suggestion with the AGCO... BTW, i thought i read they were gonna be done soon...???
sounds like your going to the simplicity dealer 5 miles down the road from me sm00. they have been in business for 50 yrs and dont know jack squat.even the old guys that have been there forever are a joke. poor customer service. i put up with them for a few years but not anymore. i wont get into it, but the last time i stood at their counter i told them i would never do business with them again and that i will put the word out. every customer of mine that has brought that dealer up in a conversation never has anything good to say about them.

I just don't understand how dealers like the one Perry refers to can still do business. My local dealer, H&G Power caters to both, the new tractor "comsumer" and the older do-it-yourselfer. Jerry and Phil are a couple of great guys, They are moving across town here in SE Wisconsin and they had mentioned putting out coffee and doughnuts each day for us tractor "nerds" to enjoy with our old stories after they are settled in their new shop. Jerry lets me even scrounge around with him when I need a part that isn't stocked. We have another dealer about ten miles away, and he's the kind of guy that'll just look at you and say, "We don't have it and can't get it" without even trying. Good "old school" dealers are hard to find.

My local dealer is more interested in running their equipment and prty rental business. They might have a fairly common belt or blade, but can only find it if the one guy who knows the Simplicity parts is there. He's almost never there on Saturday. If they don't have it, they have to order it, which I have to pay for in advance, so two trips to the next town, which wouldn't be so bad except it 10 miles further away from my daily work, and they close promptly at 5:30. So from my perspective, If I have to wait to have it shipped anyway, why not have it come to my door from a dealer who knows what I'm talking about when I ask for something? I usually just order from Sandy lake. Although I do wish there was a local source for those blasted large head clevis pins that hold the mower on. Someday all of those I've lost are going to team up with the missing phillips head screwdrivers and 9/19" wrenches and I'll be buried under a pile of them. :D

quote:
Originally posted by GWGAllisfan
My local dealer is more interested in running their equipment and prty rental business. They might have a fairly common belt or blade, but can only find it if the one guy who knows the Simplicity parts is there. He's almost never there on Saturday. If they don't have it, they have to order it, which I have to pay for in advance, so two trips to the next town, which wouldn't be so bad except it 10 miles further away from my daily work, and they close promptly at 5:30. So from my perspective, If I have to wait to have it shipped anyway, why not have it come to my door from a dealer who knows what I'm talking about when I ask for something? I usually just order from Sandy lake. Although I do wish there was a local source for those blasted large head clevis pins that hold the mower on. Someday all of those I've lost are going to team up with the missing phillips head screwdrivers and 9/19" wrenches and I'll be buried under a pile of them. :D
Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for clevis pins, you'll find enough different ones to make your pile. and their shipping is both super fast, and reasonable.