Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kenkon

Hydrostatic Transmission water contamination

kenkon
I am new to this site so I hope that I am following the correct protocol with posting this question. Anyway...I'm looking for any advice on a Hydrostatic Transmission problem. In 1989, I purchased a new Simplicity GTH Series /(6500 Series) #1691766 Tractor. I now have 435 hours on it. I've never changed the XSMN oil in it, but have added some over the years. The cap on the XSMN reservoir cracked, I didn't realize that it had cracked and water has contaminated the fluid. I received the following advice from a professional who works on Simplicity products for a living. Please add any other recommendations that might help as I try to resolve the issue. Thanks: 1. Empty hydro tank reservoir and clean it out 2. Empty fuel so it does not spill or start (when it is cranked later on) 3. Remove spark plugs 4. Jack up the front of tractor, so that XSMN will drain better if and when plugs are removed 5. If possible remove drain plugs from pump (If there is a concern of damaging the plugs -leave them in) 6. fill XSMN reservoir with 50 weight oil 7. remove return line and have it drain into a large bucket to dispose of (insert line into a longer hose if possible) 8. Crank engine and engage XSMN until the milky fluid empties from the return line and only clean 50 wt oil is visible 8. afterwards replace the hydro filter and fill with 30 weight oil. 9. This may need to be done again in a month or so

AC_B-1Novice
Welcome to the club Ken. I can't help you but what you have listed sure sounds good. There are others that will chime in but for now welcome to the club larry

AC_B-1Novice
Ken...I don't know if you are a member or not but the $10.00 is very well spent. You can post pictures when you are a member and we all love pictures. I couldn't even own a Simplicity or an AC if it were not for the guys on this site helping me. You will like it. Larry

kenkon
I did join as a member... within 10 minutes of discovering this website. I had no idea this site existed until I stumbled upon it yesterday.
quote:
Originally posted by AC_B-1Novice
Ken...I don't know if you are a member or not but the $10.00 is very well spent. You can post pictures when you are a member and we all love pictures. I couldn't even own a Simplicity or an AC if it were not for the guys on this site helping me. You will like it. Larry