Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Proper way to bypass a broken key

AC_B-1Novice

My LL 990314 has a G/S and the key is broken off in the ignition. I want to bypass everything with a jump battery to see if the engine will turn over. Can someone tell me how to do this without messing with the dash or tell me how to get that broken part out with very little left to see. larry

well, all i could say is try small tweezers... can you turn the ign with a screwdriver since the key is in the ign? then you could see if it turns over and if it does run you might be more willing to get a new switch in the event you cant get the key out...

Unhook the kill wire for the magneto. Then run a jumper from the positive terminal of the battery and touch it to the small terminal on the solenoid to activate the starter. Remember that if the engine starts you will need to reconnect the kill wire to the magneto or short out the spark with a screwdriver to shut off the engine. Best way is to just install a new ignition switch.

A 990314 an old kill switch style with seperate starter button, not a modern key-start system. No starter solinoid. This switch simply grounds the coil making it unable to produce a spark. Just replace the keyswitch with a tggle switch. I used a spare switch from a wall light for testing once OO. The wire on the old key switch goes to one terminal on the new switch, the other goes to a good ground. Open - Engine will start. Closed - Engine will not start Even with the key on or off, the starter should still turn when you press the start button. Doug

---Just replace the keyswitch with a tggle switch.------ That's what I sis on my '64 LL about 5 years ago. Works fine.

Great info here. I don't remember seeing a solenoid but tomorrow I will try all of this good advice. As always you guys have come through. larry

Same here as MPH. My grandfather replaced the ignition switch at least 20 years ago with a toggle switch and we've never needed anything more. I've thought about stealing one of the key switches from a non-running Broadmoor that I have... but why fix what is running fine?:o)

The key was turned to the on position and I jumped it and it turned over just fine. Now to clean the gas tank and try starting it. Anything else I should watch for or do before trying to run the engine? larry

Check for a mouse nest in the engine tin. Look around the edges of the engine tin for any bits of mouse nest sticking out. To be absolutely sure you can remove some head bolts until you can remove the top tin strap and look back down into the engine tin with a light to see it it's clean. You might want to take a compression check. If it is low, like 60 pounds, don't give up. The rings and valves may just be sticky as opposed to shot. You will want to run the engine repeatedly for short periods with a gas additive such as Sea Foam, Lucas or Marvel Mystery Oil. After you run through the tank with additives in it refill with fresh, straight gas and try again after warming the engine up thoroughly. You may be surprised. I just bought a Landlord 101 that had sat and initially showed 60 pounds of compression after warming up. After the treatment the compression increased to almost 120 pounds. So what looked like a dead engine is actually a very healthy engine.