Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

just some 3/400 data... info requested

sammiefish

I was talking with a club member about the 3/400 anomalies... so i thought I'd share what we learned about hood sticker colors and mfg plants and characteristics any more data is appreciated. please just add to the list... (if you please) I hope to get this into some digestible format along with any other specifics... as Ive noticed differences in the parts manual as well.... unfortunately the sticker does not identify mfg# (and there were 2 for ea model) so I figure as unreliable as the B/W vs orange hood sticker observation may be...for now we'll go with that 310 black and white hood sticker... Lexington SC 310 b/w hood sticker... Lexington SC short BGB PTO pulley shaft breakerless ign 312H orange hood sticker... Lexington SC long BGB PTO pulley shaft w/ threaded end.. points ign 416 shuttle (orange hood sticker, i think they all were)... Wisconsin long BGB PTO pulley shaft w/ threaded end.. points ign

Was the 300 series offered in a hydro? Just picked up a 16HP hydro and it looks like a 416 rather than a 300 series but not real sure.

Hydro was offered in the 300 series.... but the 300 originally only came with a 10, 12, or 14 Hp there are a few ways I can suggest to tell if you have a 3 or 4 the front mule drive on the 400 has a "tension meter" to where you want to set the tension on the pto, 300 does not the front center axle pin on the 400 has a crossways bolt through the middle of the pin... the 300 axle pin has a bolt longways through the center of the pin. the front axle on my 416 is flat bar stock... the 300's i have seen have more of a welded solid front axle. also, the running boards on the 300 has rubber matting for your feet the 400 has dimpled holes.. no rubber I suppose your serial tag is gone... and since the mfg # is not on the tag we were thinking that we could tell 3 vs.4 as 300s were made only in lexington SC as shown here in maxtormans pic:

and at least some 400's were made in Wisconsin which is also indicated on the tag but thats what we were trying to correlate just for fun so if your tag says Wisconsin it is likely a 400 Disclaimer: This is all still guesswork for me... but ya get what ya pay for... : )

Wow Chris, I never noticed the city/state on the model sticker... heres what i have ; 310 V (orange/white decal)-P.O. box 512 Millwaukee, wisc.53201 310 V (black/white decal) - Lexington, SC. 312 H (black/white decal) - Lexington, SC. 314 H (orange/white decal)-P.O. box 512 Millwaukee, Wisc.53201 416 H (orange/black decal -P.O. box 512 Millwaukee, wisc.53201 all of the black/white decal tractors are breakerless ignition.. all of the others are points ignition.. Dan

AHHH ... useful data... i guess the other Q would be... does the sticker necessarily mean mfg plant or did they change and list corporate hdqts instead on the id tag on orange hood sticker tractors... hmmm...

Y'all made me get up and go out and look at the 410S behind the garage!8D Most of the data sticker is painted over, but it does say Milwaukee WI. Hood decal is mostly black, with the '410' part orange.

Chris the only thing i know as a fact is the production dates on all of my 300 series tractor gas tanks are 1971... Lexington, and Milwaulkee.... The more we communicate about these "mutts" the more we learn.. Keep up the good work dOd Dan

Interesting, I have several of the 300/400 series so I'll have to to look them over closer.This lastest one has been repainted and has a Simplicity decal on the hood and a modified late model Simplicity mower deck.

I have an AC 308 which I don't see mentioned ever on this site. It has a tiller on the back. Isn't this what would be classified as a 300 series or does it go by some other number? Chris,"..but the 300 originally only came with a 10, 12, or 14 Hp" Woudn't my 308 be an eight hp? larry

Larry, I am not familiar with a 308 http://www.simpletractors.com/models/ac_300_series.htm There was however a B-208 http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/b-208_b-208s.htm Do you have a picture of your 308 ? another hmmmmmmmmm chris

Chris...I went out to the barn, threw back the thin tarp covered with barn swallow doogie and boy was I surprised. :O There before my eyes was an AC 608 not a 308 as I thought. Sorry for the mistake and I'm really amazed for all this time I thought I had a 308 stuck out there. I guess it pays to look at what you have once in a while. larry

I think you will find that all 300 & 400 series tractors were manufactured in Lexington SC The designation of Wisconsin was because the Headquarters was in Wisconsin. The 300 & 400 series were Horzontal shaft large frame garden tractors.