Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bearing questions? 7117 tractor

mroman59

1. In a 7117 BGB there are two open bearings that the shaft goes through. When you open up the BGB to replace parts should you grease those bearings? 2. In a 7117 spindle bearing, are those shielded or sealed bearings? I just replaced two on my deck (part no. 2108202SM or 7013313). Now that I think about it, it looked like it was shielded, but I am not sure. The reason I ask is because I would like to purchase some more and rebuild my other spindles during the winter. On eBay, they are selling bearing part no. 7013313, but advertising as open, shield or sealed choice. If the ones they supply at the dealer are shielded then why not replace with sealed bearing for the same price? Your thoughts appreciated. Mike

All spindle (deck arbors) bearings I have used have had shields. It's been awhile since I've done a BGB repair, but as I remember it, those bearings are "open" and lubricated by the BGB fluid (90 wt gear oil, multipurpose hydraulic/transmission fluid, or Dexron ATF). I did NOT apply grease to them during reassembly. I would think the grease would contaminate the BGB lubricating fluid. The bearings come lightly oiled.

Spindle bearings are sealed from factory. The BGB bearings are open. No need to grease they are lubricated from the oil in the BGB.

Thanks guys, but PhanDad and RayS seem to disagree about the spindle bearing types. I am thinking the one I replaced looked shielded. However, I will call the Simplicity dealer tomorrow and ask. Like I say, if you can purchase the same size and sealed, why wouldn't you use the sealed bearing instead? If it is shielded, does that mean you have to have a grease fitting in the housing and apply grease? I reused my old bottom housing and it does not have a grease fitting in it, however when I was at the dealer they showed me a brand new bottom housing and it had a fitting in it. I asked the mechanic about it and he said they been putting those in for years but you dont need it, so I didnt buy a new one. MR

I think Ray and I are saying the same thing - we're using the terms "shielded" and "sealed" to mean the same thing. Maybe there's a difference between a "shielded" and "sealed" bearing, I don't know. And as to greasing the spindles see Al's comments toward the bottom of this post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=111826&SearchTerms=bearing

I just looked on my invoice sheet and the two bearings I purchased say shielded. You maybe right, but if you look at the following link on eBay it gives the impression that they could be different by the photo. I email the seller to ask him if they are different, but there is no reply yet. The snapper part no. is the same no. that they sold me at the Simplicity Dealer as a replacement to the original part. no. in my book. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250421237743&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT Thanks, MR

I have these bearings that are in the link below. I have them in a deck that I have used around 5 years since I rebuilt the spindles without any problems from the bearings. You can get 6 for what the link you posted wants for two. The last ones that I bought from a dealer were around $8.00 each. Shield or sealed either way they are a prelube bearing and either would do the trick. I have seen them with both seals and shields or atleast plastic and metal sheilds, seals or what ever you want to call them. I need to order another set. http://business.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=Z9504RST+bearings&_sacat=12576&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=insert+bearings&_osacat=12576

Oh, by the way I had to replace the top housing in addition to the bearings. I paid $7 for it at the dealer. I probably will have to replace the others as the bolts rusted and broke off in the housing and it was simpler to buy a new one instead of trying to tape it out. The bearings and housing parts are the same on my 6216 as my 7117, I believe and I would like to rebuild the 6216 spindles also. So If you know a place for a good price for the top or even bottom housing parts, I would appreciate it. thanks, MR

Will the bearings that Ray listed fit the B-series decks as well? The spindles look the same on my 7010 as they do on my B-series tractors but I just wanted to make sure. Also the top and bottom spindle bearings are the same right? Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I've been wondering about bearings for my decks and figured I'd asked here. Thanks, Fred

Hey Fred, I purchased 6 of them and may need to buy some more if I redo my 6216 deck, provided they are the same bearings. So, dont buy the all up, LOL Mike

Don't worry I don't have enough decks to buy them all up lol. I only have 3 decks so that's 18 bearings and there's over 100 listed as a quantity for the lot of 12 lol. I'm not sure on whether or not they are the right bearings for your deck but I'm sure someone here must know.

HI, I am at the house, but I think the genuine Sim brgs are around $8 at our place. They have used shielded bearings for many years, but without looking I can't say they still are. The bearings may be sealed with plastic seals, (sealed) or shielded with seals with metal shields (shielded) on the outside which provide more protection of the sealing lip. This also provides more protection from grass wrap damaging the seals. The early bearings in the tube arbors (1965 era) were shielded on one side only. Bearings may be plain, sealed or shielded, one side or both sides. If you were doing the EARLY TUBE TYPE arbors, tapping for a grease fitting and taking the inner seals out, and not OVERGREASING will provide the longest life. Due to the loose fit of the top and bottom and the seam in the later splined arbors, I would not recommend running a bearing with only the outside sealed. Al Eden Al Eden

A commercial part number for the spindle bearing is Fafnir P204RR6 which is a double sealed bearing. Per the Fafnir book, it is also used by several other mower brands. Tom