Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Length of lift rods

MPH

Dutch, I noticed on your plow project your lift is attached very near the tractor hitch. Got me wondering, would my rake raise with less strain on my left arm if I lifted close in? After 5 hours of rakin last nite I knew I been up to something besides hangin sheet rock. MPH

I’m not a Simplicity “Old Timer,” I’m just plain old. I’ve only been fooling with these things for a couple of years, but I’ll try to answer your question. From the photo you uploaded showing your rake hitch, it appears you have an earlier type rear lift. From looking at pictures, I assume that type lift used a rod that slid into the lift socket, and had a chain going from that rod to the implement. I also assume your one point hitch is the “V” type that doesn’t have a cross bar. My rear lift has an extra hole yours doesn’t have. An adjustable rod goes from that hole to a hole in the cross bar of my “Square” type one point hitch. If my assumptions are correct, I would suspect you have to move your implement lift handle farther, but the weight is less, because you’re lifting the implement from further out than my lift is. You may be able to simply drill a hole in you rear lift (add a bushing for reinforcement) and use the “square” one point hitch. You will probably move the lift handle less of a distance, but the weight will feel heavier. My 7010 has an electric lift. It hasn’t complained about the weight “yet,” so I don’t care since I’m only moving my thumb. I hope one or more of the Simplicity “Old Timers” jumps in to confirm what I just wrote, or straighten me out. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/rearlift.jpg