Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rpickle

M20 Kohler Magnum

rpickle
Hi folks. I am going to go pick one of these up for $50 bucks Friday. Supposed to be a good working motor. Think I can shoe-horn it into one of my Sovereigns? Buying as an investment. If anything, I can part it out and make my money back. Rick

country
$50!!! Wish I could have found one like that a year ago. I converted an MV18 to run horizontal and have it reinstalled and running in my 917. Would have been much easier to find a good running M18 or M20 for cheaper than I wanted to pay, or a $50 M20 that could be rebuilt. You could easily get your money back just selling it on ebay as is.

DMedal
I too have put a couple M18s in 900 series with good success. It is a nice, strong engine without the vulnerabilities of the original K17 BUT - If I remember right, the 7100 series simplicity and the 900 series Allis are longer under the hood than a 7000 series. I'm not home now so can't put the measuring tape on it, but you may have fit problems due to that. One of the more experienced guys can correct me if I'm wrong, they usually do. Don

ardisam
Hate to tell you, but the M20 is the same everything as the KT17. The only differnce is the crankshaft and it has a magnito instead of a stator. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114H

DMedal
I was referring to the KT17 Series I, not the series II. I presume the reason that Kohler changed to calling these Magnum 18 and 20 was to avoid the tainted KT17 reputation. The first KT17 lacked pressure lube and suffered premature failures when operated at an angle (mowing on a slope). I believe they can be distinguished by the later engines having either an oil filter or the blank plate in place of same.

Al
HI, The KT series 2 have a pressure oil system. The M series is the same basic engine with a change to electronic ignition and revised fan and cooling features, including revised cylinder heads. They, as the KTs were made in many spec numbers with many different cranks, air cleaners, charging systems, etc. They are an improved KT and provide good power. Are you talking about an old Sovereign, or the new 1990s late Sovereign? Good luck, Al Eden

rpickle
I have a 3212v and 2 7016's. The older 7016 is a '75 I believe. The other is a few years newer. As a side note, the guy also had a decent looking 6216 that would run but had some sort of electrical issue. He wanted $100 for it.