Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2084 Super Cub ...Good, Bad??????

SmilinSam

Anyone know anything about the 2084 Cub Cadet Super Garden Tractors? I , errr, ummmmmmmmmmmmm :I ....think I'm buying one

The Super Garden Tractors were pretty good machines based on the IH cub 982. The 2084 would be a 1994 machine which is a little too new for me so I don't know much about that model. Here is a link to a pretty good page where you can download some manuals for it that should help. http://www.ihregistry.com/search.php?t_manufacturer=0&t_model=106

Opinions are like you-know-what ..... so here's mine. My buddy has two tractors from this class (one 'sploded so he bought another, why?). I've been unfortunate enough to have to help him repair them several times. Plastic body panels, stamped steel everthing else, electrical nightmare .... mostly an oversized, overpriced big box store tractor with "Cub" on the side. But .... they'll mow just fine, as long as your yard is really flat. If you're getting a good deal, buy it and turn it around ....

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Anyone know anything about the 2084 Cub Cadet Super Garden Tractors? I , errr, ummmmmmmmmmmmm :I ....think I'm buying one
Were you the last one to stick up his hand at an auction?:D

Well, a friend of mine locslly that trades in Deere stuff has had this in his garage for a few years. He got it at an auction and bought all new hood and side panels fror it because previous owner trailered it fcing backwards and the wind tore the plastic hood assembly off the tractor. He also has a bead blasted set of fenders to replace the ones on it that have holes drilled into it for a radio or tool box. Also has paint and decals, a new seat, and other stuff. It has about 600 hours on it, Kohler ch20, power steering, 54" deck, ag tread tires on the back and seems to run OK. It was pitching out a little smoke when we first started and ran it the other day so he sent it home with me to change the oil, filter and run it hard and heavy mowing for a day to see if its Ok. Been sitting a while.If its good, price to me is the $1500 hes got in it. Been looking for a bigger size tractor to mow the horse pasture off every few weeks to keep the weeds down and the grass thick. Mowing it with my 914 has about killed that tractor off, not tomention beating me to death over the bumps the hoof prints make. Done the powermax/620/720 thing and by the time you put a decent engine in one and iron out all the worn parts you are looking at $3000+ in most cases. Way out of budget, and a farm tractor is even more. The only re-occurring things negative I have heard about these is Plastic hoods and wiring. From the diagrams at the link Xenon provided above (THANKS!), the wiring looks about the same as the complicated mess Toro Wheel Horses had in the 90's that I am already familiar with working on. I'll get it out and mow today and evaluate some more, if it dont rain.

Knockin' down weeds in the pasture? For the same money you can get into a farmall cub/A or AC B/C with a belly mower. Better suited to the job and will outlast the cub by a couple of decades. Besides, the B/C's are much simpler and have style .....

quote:
Originally posted by Bailey
Knockin' down weeds in the pasture? For the same money you can get into a farmall cub/A or AC B/C with a belly mower. Better suited to the job and will outlast the cub by a couple of decades. Besides, the B/C's are much simpler and have style .....
Been looking those too, but around me anything workable is running around $2500. Another friend has a D17, but there you are at $3000+. Already had two wore out WD's and fought with both of them, dont want anymore of that junk. Plus no room for a "BIG" tractor in the shed. Have to see what happens. Didnt have time to run this thing today.

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Sam, it's a 'super' tractor, isn't that enough?:D
..and if I keep it I suppose you think I should paint a Superman emblem on the hood?:D

quote:
Farmall Cub is only a 10 HP tractor and "A" is not much bigger. Just food for thought.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
quote:
Farmall Cub is only a 10 HP tractor and "A" is not much bigger. Just food for thought.
You're absolutely right Bob.... I love my lawn tractors, but I grew up on a farm and you know them's not apples in both those baskets!!!

quote:
..and if I keep it I suppose you think I should paint a Superman emblem on the hood

[img]http://supermantv.net/images/reeves-logo.jpg[/img]
I was thinking more something like this, Sam.