Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DMedal

Pulling PowerMax front clutch

DMedal
PO removed most of the front clutch on my 4041, leaving only the part that mates with the key on the engine shaft. (and which I take to be the armature). This is held in by a bolt and two washers. Service manual says pull the bolt and slide the unit off. Yeah right, 30 years ago maybe. This is the piece that has the degree markings for TDC. This doesn't look like something I should be using a puller on. Any tips? Am I understanding this clutch assembly correctly in thinking the clutch is steel on steel, no "clutch lining material"? or am I missing a part? Got my first coil working, thanks to CleanBee and Dave_D17. I could make it work if I could get that piece off. Don

JP
A few doses of pb-blaster/WD-40 via the keyway helps. Using a non metal hammer, rubber/lead, tap & turn. (Levi's favorite, LOL). Yes, it's steel on steel. No missing parts. Check your rivets on the flat springs...

DMedal
ok. not much room to get a hammer behind it to tap. Maybe it will be loose by the time I get home from the PBlaster. Yeah, that's it. update: it DID come loose right away after work (tap, tap, pry) no puller required.