Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simpicity 6216 Clutch adjustment problem

mroman59

I have a Simplicity 6216 that I purchased back in 1987. After all these years I am beginning to have problems with my clutch adjustment. I went through the variable speed control/clutch adjustments steps but that did not solve the problem. When it is adjusted accordingly and I press on the clutch/brake and try to shift it into gear, it wont go into gear. I hear the grinding sound. I observed what was going on underneath as my clutch/brake is fully compressed. There is plenty of slack in the primary belt, however it is still spinning and therefore causing the Variator pulley to spin which then spins the secondary belt. I never really observed how this is supposed to work before, but I would imagine that the slack in the primary belt should prevent the Variator pulley from spinning so that you can shift into gear. It is a brand new belt, however I know that it is the correct size. My first thought is that it was the wrong size so I double checked it and it is 5/8 X 50" Kevlar belt. I measure it to make sure. It is not a Simplicity belt, however the belt supplier cross referenced it with a book that listed the tractor and number I gave him. I looked in the book. Would you expect the primary belt to continue to spin even though the clutch is in and there is plenty of slack? Does the Variator pulley ever need replace or oiled? After all the adjustments I made, according to the book, I tried adjusting the pulley while the tractor was running to see if the pulley would stop spinning, but there was no change. This problem was occurring even before the new belt purchase. Your help is appreciated. thanks, MR

If you primary belt is still spinning - Make sure the two belt stops are positioned correct - the ones by the engine pulley - be back after pizza....Chris

quote:
Originally posted by sunrunner
If you primary belt is still spinning - Make sure the two belt stops are positioned correct - the ones by the engine pulley - plus on all mine, there is a "sweet spot" when I depress the clutch pedal, so I don't grind..... be back after pizza....Chris

Originally posted by sunrunner
As far as the 6200 service manual says - When main belt does not stop: belt stops out of adjustment or belt tension out of adjustment = see owners manual:D= belt stop should be 1/16th" away from belt with clutch out and again, Use Simplicity belts...never have lost one that was not my fault....It is worth the money

Thanks guys, I owe you big time when we get to heaven. When I opened up the pdf. file you sent me, the photos were much larger on the computer than my little booklet. I was able to notice that the guides were on the wrong bolts that hold the engine down. I was not sure if that was a diagram error or not, but I figured it was my error. I had the engine off recently and when I put it back on I installed the guides on the wrong bolts. That's why the belt was not being squeezed enough to prevent the pulley from grabbing it. Now my wife can cut the grass again and give me some free time. I am spoiled with my 7117 so I dont drive the 6216 much anymore, but she likes the 6216 for some reason. She gets use to things and cant let go, I guess that's why I am still around. Well the more power to her, LOL. I had to admit, I was about ready to go out and buy a brand new John Deer for her. Thanks again. Mike

Since I'm working my way down from engine and steering tower, find this thread VERY interesting. The 6216 I bought needed both belts, purchased Simple belts, and hope to install this weekend. Have to check the manual for stop location. Have not even looked that hard under tractor, as top side issues is were I started. Interesting reading. sm01

Glad to hear you kept the 6216 and didn't get a John Deere. You have the better tractor already. How'd you end up with the brake issue?