Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hi lo gear

snohiker

hey all is there a way to lube the hi lo on my 707 seems to be sticky going back into hi or is there an adjustment for this thanks in advance rob

You can try just soaking it with PB Power Blaster. Or you can go to the Cross Reffs tables and find the part number and pull up the manual for it. I have one I bought used that I never installed on my 717 and it looks really simple. If it is hanging up it probably is just not sliding out far enough to disengage.

Hi Robert, Look at the center of the round housing on the hi-lo unit. Some have a pipe plug screwed into them. If it does, unscrew the plug and install a grease zerk and pump some grease into it. If yours, like mine, does not have the plug, you can disassemble it and grease it. They are not really complicated, just take it one step at a time. I cleaned and greased mine before putting it on a 616 yeoman, it still is a bit sticky but works ok. There are some posts if you look in the archive of mine, and also a few others, that show pics of them disassembled. Hope this helps. Steve

Up above in the "resources" tab, drop down to "articles" and find the "Small Frame Tracors" section and look up my article on Hi Lo restoration. I'm wondering if these needed to be torn down and serviced on a periodic basis.