Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is this in this picture?

AC_B-1Novice

I have an AC/608 with a tiller and the engine has what looks like a fuse on the side of the alternator. There is a fuse behind the dash as in picture 2. Is the one on the alternator needed for the some reason? larry

Pic 2

That piece that looks like a fuse holder should have connected to directly on the part where your arrow shows. It is the charge wire from the engine alternator. Somebody lost the original connector and soldered a jumper(red) to get to the ammeter.

Bob...That actually is a fuse holder stretched out. Maybe someone mounted that part to do just what you said. I take it from your post that I could remove that and simply connect the black wire and the red wire together and be ok. larry

HI, The wire that mates with this socket has a diode in it and this is the rectifier to charge the battery. Briggs sells the diodes separately to solder on to the wire. DO NOT PUT A FUSE OR CONNECT THIS WIRE TO THE BATTERY OR 12VOLTS WITHOUT A DIODE IN SERIES WITH THE LINE. It will smoke the stator windings under the flywheel. Good luck Al Eden

WOW, thanks Al. That is some good information to know. I hope I can find the part I need as I'm not very good at explaining to parts people when I need something I no nothing about. They sort of give me a blank stare...:D larry

The diode is extremely available. It should be in stock at any decent parts store, from either Briggs or the aftermarket. I keep at least one in stock at my shop just in case, and have used them often. Just tell them your engine number, and the word "diode", and you'll get a box that looks like it would hold 100 diodes, with one inside. Connection requires soldering.