Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 627

foghead

Howdy all... I'm new here but have been collecting oddball engines and garden equipment for the majority of my life. My latest little find is a Simplicity 627 Yeoman (model 990486) that is 100% complete and very restorable. Few basic questions here - - What year is this beast? Tractor S/N is 006505. - Mowing deck has 3 very small blades and a LEFT side discharge. Never seen one dump out to the left before... Mfg # of the deck is 990417; S/N: 1284 And now for my dilemma. While re-cutting the valves, I noticed that the replacement block (an L head 8hp Briggs) had a crack in the sump. I replaced the sump, but forgot the order of the 2 pulleys on the end of the crank. If I was thinking, I would have taken a pic BEFORE dis-assembly. Anyway, anyone have a description of which pulley goes where? There are 2; one about 3/4" smaller than the other - the larger one has some sort of offset to it. A photo of a survivor would be nice! Thanks in advance to all! :D

hi, the larger pulley goes on the bottom. they should have come off together, but some of the pullys were put on separately depending on year. When you put the pully on, just remember to align the belts according to the gaurds so u dont have premature wear.

The 627 dates back to around 1969. Simplicity didn't really follow a model year philosophy. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/New_in_1968/yeoman.htm Scroll down to the second picture. One of the most rare attachments is the field and brush mower attachment. It's the one that has the "DANGER ROTATING KNIVES" decal on the front of it.

Awesome pics! These little tractors can really do quite a bit for their size! Now I'm psyched to find a drive belt for it. I found a mower deck belt that should do, it's just that I need the drive belt - otherwise it'll just be a heavy push mower!:D