Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brent_Baumer

Coincidence or Jinx..?

Brent_Baumer
Last year I was looking at a new disc. All the new department store ones seem to have shelves for concrete blocks. Then I came across this old beast in the salvage yard. I can’t lift the thing so it’s plenty heavy without added weight. Plus, it’s got lots of nifty adjustments. Best of all, it was free. I made an adapter from parts of an old Simplicity cultivator, and hooked it to my tractor. That’s when I had the first problem. The electric lift wouldn’t raise it, so I had to weld a piece of chain to a rod and use the lift socket. In one of my recent “Sod Buster” posts, Dick (bobjack) suggested my square hitch extension may present a problem. Then, just today, Marty (MPH) asked about my hitch. Is this just a coincidence..? My lift never refused to lift anything before..! Hmmm. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/jinx.jpg

MPH
Nice score, think that was ment to be pulled by Kents mule. Keep your eye open for an ole truck tire lug wrench bar, little grinding to roumd it to fit in. and it wont bent. MPH

B_WALLY_
Dutch, it looks like you have an awful lot of leverage. Could you get the disc closer to the tractor? I think your lift could then lift it easier.

B_WALLY_
Wally, You're right. It is too far away because of it's weight. I didn't weigh it, but that disc must be close to 200 lbs. I'll have to fab another yoke and move it in closer. I'll post another photo if it works.

PGL
I've got to find a salvage yard like you have Dutch - a real gold mine. You seem to have uncovered many nuggets. Of course, it helps to have a good mechanical imagination plus obvious skills for welding.

MPH
Peter, How is it in Canada..? Here in the States, ole' time salvage yards are getting harder to find due to economic conditions, land values, and EPA & local regulations. Find your local trash dump. It's amazing (a sin) what people throw away now-a-days. It seems like nobody fixes anything any more.

jlasater
Anyway you could rig up a heavy spring in tension to counterbalance the weight a bit and make it easier on the electric lift?

dlcentral
Jeremy, Glad to meet a thinker..! Actually, the way the "lift cross bar" is made (what the electric lift attaches to), if you repositioned the rear hitch lift cable, and put weight on the front hitch, you could counterbalance (same result as your spring suggestion). I may do just that with this tractor.