Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Be careful - PTO engagement

OrangeMetalGuy
Be careful when dismounting from your tractor if you are wearing shorts and have the engine running (I leave mine idle for a few minutes to help it cool down after running). Hopped off mine and my shorts grabbed the center PTO lever and engaged it. Fortunately I had my feet away from the underside of the mower deck. Just wanted to pass this on... be careful out there.

donmoore1904
This advice is applicable to almost any tractor, right? I have a Massey loader/backhoe, which is a wonderful machine. However, the way it was designed, almost every control can either get caught by a sleeve/pant leg, or hit inadvertantly by a hand or foot when getting on/off. Wouldn't you know they completely redesigned the ergonomics the very year after mine. Our tractors are a lot better than that, but any tool is dangerous when not used as intended. The designers probably didn't anticipate we modern folk doing tractor work with shorts on.

AC_B-1Novice
Strange you should mention it. I got off a Gilson tractor about 2 weeks ago and my foot hit the gear shift, kicked it into gear and Andy (Baily) and I had to chase it down before it hit the side of my barn at the door. Not fun!!!

OrangeMetalGuy
Yes you are correct. However, the manual also says to run the engine at idle for a few minutes after the tractor has been working, to allow the engine to cool down. So I normally throttle down to idle then hop off.

blind_eagle
sounds like a good excuse to ask the wifey to bring you a cold one to enjoy while waiting on the tractor for it to cool down since you can't leave the seat.:D8D:D8D:p

timflury
Where's Ralph Nader,,,,, why he oughtta make make all the manufacturers put a crapload of safety switches and guards on these so we don't have to read all the safety instructions!!! Oh, that was done years ago.