Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cat 1 540 for Powermax

powermax_paul

I've been doing some digging and not with my backhoe. I think I can design a reasonable reduction unit for 540 1-3/8"-6 PTO and get the parts to convert a powermax to Cat 1 hitch. This would allow use of many aftermarket attachments made for Kubota, John Deere, New Holland and other compact tractors up to 25 hp. Cost for parts etc could range from $400 to $500. Would this interest anyone? Paul

I have a 4041 and have looking for years for a category 0 bushog. If you can build a reliable & affordable cat.1 I would be intested. John New Hampshire

This is the initial design. I'm working on the cost estimate tonite.
[img]http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/PTO_Conv.jpg[/img]
What I'm thinking is if I can get enough donations from members to my paypal account, to buy the parts for my own conversion, I will have the detailed drawings and parts list/suppliers posted to the site permanently. Paul

Total cost for Parts and Materials came to just under $400. That includes the Cat 1 lift arms and top link. Paul

Paul, is it necessary to use longer lift arms and top link for the CAT1? Are you thinking chain or timing belt drive? Nelson

Nelson, Timing belt won't transmit the HP required unless it is 3"+ wide which puts the 540 pto shaft out too far for most Cat 1 attachments. This would have to be a chain drive. The lift arms aren't really longer, they just have more offset to get to the required 26" Cat 1 width. And they would have the 7/8" pin holes. Paul

Paul, I see what you're saying. I normally change lower pins on CAT1 implements to CAT0 and use the 5/8" pin in the upper link for my Allis 720. (little sloppy fit) Having CAT1 offset arms would have it's advantages and it would also be nice to have the 540 PTO conversion. Nelson

Since there seems to be only limited interest, I will sell plans individually. Plans will include detailed drawing of the fabrication and a list of purchased parts and sourcing for each part. Price will likely be about $10 for everything furnished in PDF format. I'll put a reminder up in the for sale section from time to time like I do with the Backhoe Plans. Paul

I've actually gone the opposite direction on a small compact changed the Cat 1 to Cat 0.Cat 1 implements are usually to much for tractors like the Powermax series to handle.

paul i wauld be interested in the plans for a 540 pto if you could email more details that would be great thanks phil